• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment or Divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EarthAngel

What is the name of your state? new york

my fiance was married in March, 1994 - by June of '94 he realized his "wife" basically forced him into this marriage(though she would never admit to it), because of their daugther born 9/92.

my question is because they have been separated for so long, and there was never really a marriage per se, does he need to seek a divorce or annulment?

also, he has petition her for divorce already but she has not responded to the documents, claiming they do not include a child support order (there is a child support order; payments are taken from his paycheck already). we see this as a stalling tactic, what should we do?

Last edited:

djohnson

You should contact an attorney. He will need to get a divorce. I don't believe the rules for annulment apply here. I don't know why she would be trying to stall. Check with your attorney.

E

EarthAngel

annulment or divorce

Thanks for your reply.

He does have an attorney. And she was served papers - BUT, she will not sign them. His ex-wife is saying that she wants child support orders included in the divorce agreement. and this attorney is not very helpful & doesn't explain what's the next step. we don't want to start over with a new attorney, we would like to start the process ourselves.

is this now a "contested" divorce? she has not responded in any way, and she has not served him with any papers. we are really confused & need help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">