• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment or Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Man2007

I know my question/situation is complicated but I need help to do this with no mistake.

I’ve legally/religiously married out of USA at about Oct 2000 but moved in at about Oct 2002 as a married couple but since then my wife denied to have intercourse (she is still a virgin). Although we had anal sex for couple of times on her request (because she didn’t want/ wasn’t be able to have straight sex).
We moved to US at about Oct 2004 and lived here in Los Angeles since then. We filed a religious divorce at May 2006 because we couldn’t continue our relationship with lack of many things especially physical relationship. But we lived together for another year and at about May 2006 she moved out and now we are deciding to finalize our divorce. It should be mentioned that we both have some properties in my country (middle east). I read about the type of divorce and I believe that I’m eligible to file an annulment. But I’m not sure because of the long time we were in this relationship.

Now the questions are:

1. As a Law point of view and based on description how long we are counted married?
2. If it is more than 4 years then am I eligible to file annulment?
3. If the answer of #2 is yes, can she claim for alimony or claim for my properties (what I personally paid for it)?

Any help or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

LdiJ

I know my question/situation is complicated but I need help to do this with no mistake.

I’ve legally/religiously married out of USA at about Oct 2000 but moved in at about Oct 2002 as a married couple but since then my wife denied to have intercourse (she is still a virgin). Although we had anal sex for couple of times on her request (because she didn’t want/ wasn’t be able to have straight sex).
We moved to US at about Oct 2004 and lived here in Los Angeles since then. We filed a religious divorce at May 2006 because we couldn’t continue our relationship with lack of many things especially physical relationship. But we lived together for another year and at about May 2006 she moved out and now we are deciding to finalize our divorce. It should be mentioned that we both have some properties in my country (middle east). I read about the type of divorce and I believe that I’m eligible to file an annulment. But I’m not sure because of the long time we were in this relationship.

Now the questions are:

1. As a Law point of view and based on description how long we are counted married?{/QUOTE]

Almost 7 years.

2. If it is more than 4 years then am I eligible to file annulment?
Unlikely

3. If the answer of #2 is yes, can she claim for alimony or claim for my properties (what I personally paid for it)?
CA is a community property state, which means that 1/2 of all assets and 1/2 of all debt that accrued during the marriage, or was comingled during the marriage, is 1/2 yours and 1/2 hers.

Any help or suggestions will be highly appreciated.
The best suggestion that I can give you is to get a face to face consult with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">