• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment or divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mistake2003

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Georgia

Ok I made a mistake of a lifetime... I helped as so called friend and I went to the courthouse and married him so that he could file to become a citizen...shortly after he commited serious felonies(armed robbery, false impriosnment and credit card fraud) ok so I found out once he was arrested. i was scared and I didnt want to have anything to do with his trouble so until now I have decided I want to get an annulment or divorce. We never lived together, had any kids,property or anything he was a freind of a friend. so basically we married and went on with our separate lives. Ok 2010 he will plead guilty but will be deported he is currently being held on felony and immgration charges. I need to know what I need to do before he is gone and never be found He is currently in jail awaitng sentencing. I want to know can I file myself or do I need a lawyer?

mistoffolees

Grounds for annulment in Georgia are listed here:
Georgia Family Law Blog: Annulment

It is unlikely that any of them apply. Just get a divorce. It is possible to file by yourself, but an attorney is safer (you're less likely to make a big mistake).

If he's deported, you'll probably be OK, but if he stays here, you may be responsible for supporting him even if you divorce him. Ask an immigration attorney.

And don't commit felony immigration fraud again.

mistake2003

Ok thanks but since we are married and have been married for 3 years will he be entitled to anything I have? So i guess i should get a lawyer? But It states I can get and annulment because it falls under fraud.. but i guess that would be more money i want to do this as fast and cheap as possible

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ok thanks but since we are married and have been married for 3 years will he be entitled to anything I have? So i guess i should get a lawyer? But It states I can get and annulment because it falls under fraud.. but i guess that would be more money i want to do this as fast and cheap as possible
YOu need a lawyer to guide you through this. YOU committed fraud. YOU cannot get an annulment because you committed a crime. You need a divorce and you also need to protect yourself from the ramifications of committing fraud by marrying ONLY to help him become a citizen. That is a CRIME.

mistoffolees

Sorry, but YOU are the one who committed fraud (actually, you both did) so you can't use that exemption. Frankly, you're not going to get an annulment.

Furthermore, you committed a felony. You really need an attorney (or perhaps two attorneys - one to handle the divorce and one to handle the immigration fraud).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">