• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

annulment/divorce/child custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

plushcherry

What is the name of your state? ohio

i just moved to ohio to get away from my estranged husband. we have a child together that was born before we got married. he was accused and convicted of indecent liberties with a minor which was my 14 year old cousin. we were married less than 8 months when i found this out and left him. we have now been separated for over a year. i am in ohio now and he is in north carolina. not sure if i can get our marriage annuled or just get a divorce. i'm also unsure about if he tries to get visiting or custody of our child. please help me!!!!

Jeter

Short duration of a marriage is not grounds for an annulment. There needs to be fraud, duress, or another statutorily defined basis. You'll need to get a divorce.

Child custody is a seperate issue. It is decided accoding to the best interests of the child. Based on your ex's criminal history, I'm pretty confident you'll have no problem gaining residential custody. Whether legal custody will be sole or joint will be based upon a number of determining factors. I would think that supervised visitation will be ordered. Consult an attorney.

Jeter

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">