• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment Grounds (Fraud)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BurningHot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Resident State: Kentucky

I have been married 2 months. No pregnancies or children together. No real property or major purchases together.

Item 1. July 8, 2016. I found out my new husband has two possible other children I did not know about in addition to the two he has and that there may be a woman in the state pregnant as well. I say 'might' and 'may' because paternity is in question. 5 different mothers.

Item 2. August 21, 2016. I found out my husband lied about his military service. He claims he served 6 years in the USMC, tours in Iraq, war wounds, and medical discharge. It turns out he never made it out of boot camp. He has intricate stories, tattoos, supposed war wounds... he made up a ton of excuses why he doesn't use the VA benefits - poor care, "blood money", etc. He has used his "veteran status" on employment applications and courted me under the assumption he was a prior Marine. I am 4th generation and military service is a tradition in my family.

I am afraid I have no idea who I am married to and it's frightening. I'm afraid he has deep mental issues that he hid well during our dating and engagement.

Are either of these things solid grounds for an annulment?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Resident State: Kentucky

I have been married 2 months. No pregnancies or children together. No real property or major purchases together.

Item 1. July 8, 2016. I found out my new husband has two possible other children I did not know about in addition to the two he has and that there may be a woman in the state pregnant as well. I say 'might' and 'may' because paternity is in question. 5 different mothers.

Item 2. August 21, 2016. I found out my husband lied about his military service. He claims he served 6 years in the USMC, tours in Iraq, war wounds, and medical discharge. It turns out he never made it out of boot camp. He has intricate stories, tattoos, supposed war wounds... he made up a ton of excuses why he doesn't use the VA benefits - poor care, "blood money", etc. He has used his "veteran status" on employment applications and courted me under the assumption he was a prior Marine. I am 4th generation and military service is a tradition in my family.

I am afraid I have no idea who I am married to and it's frightening. I'm afraid he has deep mental issues that he hid well during our dating and engagement.

Are either of these things solid grounds for an annulment?
No, they're not grounds for annulment. Get a divorce.

FlyingRon

To elaborate on what Zig says, to be basis for annulment in Kentucky, it has to be something essential to the marriage. Neither of the two lies (if they were indeed lies) would be qualify as such. You'll need to go through a divorce proceeding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">