• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment in Iowa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I was married only 49 days in Iowa, from 7-19-01 to 9-6-01. Wife filed for divorce on grounds of imcompatibilty. I am impotent, been under Dr. care since 1999, with no improvements. She knew this before the wedding. Under Iowa law one of the 4 ways to get an annulment is by being impotent. My attorney keeps down-playing the annulment and wants to keep on with the dissolution of marriage, which is running up a pretty healthy cost. Doctor is willing to send a letter to testify to my condition. Meanwhile she took all of the furnishings, including items I had before we were married. There is also my house that I bought before she ever moved in, that now she is claiming 50% of.
I want to get an annulment, my attorney refuses, and it goes on and on. she claims she doesn't have experience with annulments, and won't listen to the law or nothing.
Can someone help?? Won't an annulment be a fast and fair solution?

K

Kelly143

Is Iowa a community property state? If not, anything that was yours before the marriage is still yours. If the house is in your name only, then it is yours. If you put her on the title after the marriage, then she has 50% rights to it. The fact that the two of you have only been maried such a short time makes her look ridiculous for claiming all of your stuff as hers. If your lawyer, the person YOU are paying, isn't doing what YOU want him to do, it's time for you to find a new one who will. Don't let her walk all over you. And don't let her get away with taking your stuff. Request that it be returned to you during the divorce or anullment proceedings. It sounds to me like she married you knowing that it wouldn't last long, purposely to get her hands on your stuff. I'm sorry if that sounded bad. I don't mean for it to be rude. I hope everything works out for you.

Thanks for the come-back, Kelly. I don't know if Iowa is a community property state or not. I guess for living in Iowa for 60 years I don't know much. You are right that she had this all planned. I realize that there were sign posts along the way from nearly a year ago, but I was too blind to pay attention to them. Our hearing is tomorrow morning as to what happens to the property. The Fort Dodge Iowa judicial system is so crooked that I don't expect to get a fair hearing. Her attorney is also a Judge, does that give us a clue!! I've got my fingers crossed, but I'll bet I'm still sitting on the floor with no furniture tomorrow night, while she enjoys all my furniture. She even stole $1100 from my safe in the basement and stole some stained glass that was a gift from my daughter to me. She took literally everything, lawn mower, BBQ, furniture, even took my pictures off of the walls so she could remove the nails to hang her pictures up in her new house. 69 cents worth of nails and my poictures were on the floor.

I do wish a lawyer would comment on whether or not I have a right to an annulment?? The law says that I do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">