• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment of a marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Burkheart1

Hi, I was wondering if an annulment would be possible for the following situation in Indiana.

I am currently separated from my spouse, and I have not filed anything yet, but have agreed to a non contested divorce, but I am thinking about the future. I was brought up Catholic and if I were to remarry I would have to have an annulment to be remarried in the Catholic church. Now to the original situation.

I got married 8 years ago, my spouse was still married to the ex-spouse at the time of the wedding ceremony, and we had already obtained a marriage certificate. The divorce was not finalized until 3 weeks after the wedding ceremony. We then went back in after the divorce was finalized. The minister signed the certificate with the date that we saw the minister on 3 weeks later, not the original wedding ceremony date. It was just myself, my spouse, and the minister at the time the minister signing the marriage certificate. Would this be considered grounds for an annulment?

LdiJ

Hi, I was wondering if an annulment would be possible for the following situation in Indiana.

I am currently separated from my spouse, and I have not filed anything yet, but have agreed to a non contested divorce, but I am thinking about the future. I was brought up Catholic and if I were to remarry I would have to have an annulment to be remarried in the Catholic church. Now to the original situation.

I got married 8 years ago, my spouse was still married to the ex-spouse at the time of the wedding ceremony, and we had already obtained a marriage certificate. The divorce was not finalized until 3 weeks after the wedding ceremony. We then went back in after the divorce was finalized. The minister signed the certificate with the date that we saw the minister on 3 weeks later, not the original wedding ceremony date. It was just myself, my spouse, and the minister at the time the minister signing the marriage certificate. Would this be considered grounds for an annulment?
Until the minister signed the marriage certificate the marriage did not happen. What happened prior to that was a religious ceremony, not a legal marriage. The signing of the marriage certificate is when the actual marriage took place.

Now, getting a Catholic, religious annulment is an entirely different thing. The rules for that are completely different than the rules for a secular, legal annulment. Consult with a Catholic Priest about the possibility of a religious annulment.

Burkheart1

Thank you,
One more question, I had thought that their had to be a witness to the marriage. If it was just myself, spouse, and minister at the time of the marriage which was 3 weeks later, would the minister be considered the witness as well?

LdiJ

Thank you,
One more question, I had thought that their had to be a witness to the marriage. If it was just myself, spouse, and minister at the time of the marriage which was 3 weeks later, would the minister be considered the witness as well?
The need for a witness to be present is an old fashioned requirement that is no longer necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">