• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Annulment an Option PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bethy

I'm at the end of 6 mths of marital counseling (counselor suggested separation), been married less than a year. In a nutshell, I think I've been "dooped." hubby asked me to take out a 10k loan (his credit is poor & we couldn't qualify w/ his info) to fix up his home to sell, but his house never did get fixed up, and the money is gone (his home was also threatened w/ foreclosure/truck w/ repo, which are now caught up) He originally wanted 20-25k, but I didn't qualify on my salary. I ended up giving my dog away (he gave me an ultimatum, which is how the marriage counseling started...ultimatum came month after marrige), and now he's working on an ultimatum for my 2 (college aged) kids. I make about 40k, hubby is self-employed (at least I THINK he's working...I've seen no money and we live in my place). I'm just looking for hope of some sort at this point.

I know every thing I did, whether dooped or not, was a choice. I have 2 questions..
#1 is there any way this marriage could be annulled instead of divorced. I don't think there is, but I thought I'd ask
#2 Because we were married, is there a chance I could file a lien on his home for the amt. I "borrowed." He already has 2 judgements on the house and he's going to move back so I doubt if I'd ever see the money, but didn't know if that was even a possibility. His home is in his name only as is mine. The loan is thru my work and comes out of my paycheck so I'm stuck w/ that payment.
:(

mistoffolees

I'm at the end of 6 mths of marital counseling (counselor suggested separation), been married less than a year. In a nutshell, I think I've been "dooped." hubby asked me to take out a 10k loan (his credit is poor & we couldn't qualify w/ his info) to fix up his home to sell, but his house never did get fixed up, and the money is gone (his home was also threatened w/ foreclosure/truck w/ repo, which are now caught up) He originally wanted 20-25k, but I didn't qualify on my salary. I ended up giving my dog away (he gave me an ultimatum, which is how the marriage counseling started...ultimatum came month after marrige), and now he's working on an ultimatum for my 2 (college aged) kids. I make about 40k, hubby is self-employed (at least I THINK he's working...I've seen no money and we live in my place). I'm just looking for hope of some sort at this point.

I know every thing I did, whether dooped or not, was a choice. I have 2 questions..
#1 is there any way this marriage could be annulled instead of divorced. I don't think there is, but I thought I'd ask
#2 Because we were married, is there a chance I could file a lien on his home for the amt. I "borrowed." He already has 2 judgements on the house and he's going to move back so I doubt if I'd ever see the money, but didn't know if that was even a possibility. His home is in his name only as is mine. The loan is thru my work and comes out of my paycheck so I'm stuck w/ that payment.
:(
1. Unless there's more than what you put here, you're not going to get an annulment. Even if you could, they are generally going to be more expensive than just divorcing him.
2. No. The amount you borrowed is going to be considered marital debt. However, you're going to end up splitting the debts and assets, so you're only going to lose half of the amount. Be thankful you didn't qualify for more.

Bethy

However, you're going to end up splitting the debts and assets, so you're only going to lose half of the amount. Be thankful you didn't qualify for more.

We haven't even been married a year. He has contributed ZERO to the bills of my house (where we're living). We have had no assets since we've been married....I found out in the past 3 months, he's had 2 credit card "defaults" (whatever happens after the creditor can't get ahold of him for a long time), totalling about 5k, and his water/utilites are threatening foreclosure for non-payment (he turned his own heat off since he wasn't living there). Am I going to be responsible for 1/2 that debt?! Isn't there something I'm not liable with such a short term marriage?

Silverplum

We haven't even been married a year. He has contributed ZERO to the bills of my house (where we're living). We have had no assets since we've been married....I found out in the past 3 months, he's had 2 credit card "defaults" (whatever happens after the creditor can't get ahold of him for a long time), totalling about 5k, and his water/utilites are threatening foreclosure for non-payment (he turned his own heat off since he wasn't living there). Am I going to be responsible for 1/2 that debt?! Isn't there something I'm not liable with such a short term marriage?
Marriage is marriage. It's a legal contract. You're liable for (at least half of) whatever occurred during the marriage, however long it lasted.

mistoffolees

Sorry, but you can't get out of paying half of marital debt. However, that leaves a bit of wiggle room. Any debt which was in place at the time you married him may not be your problem. See a good local attorney for advice.

LdiJ

Sorry, but you can't get out of paying half of marital debt. However, that leaves a bit of wiggle room. Any debt which was in place at the time you married him may not be your problem. See a good local attorney for advice.
Premarital debt is NOT her problem. You can leave out the "may". She is only responsible for debt that accrued during the marriage. Since they have been married less than a year, hopefully that's only the 10k loan that she took out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">