• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment Process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FineTune

What is the name of your state? CA

Almost 2 years after our wedding, my husband and I found out that his divorce to his ex-wife was never finalized.
Brief History: They got married and parted ways after 6 months. My husband says that before he got married to me, he contacted her to ask about the divorce, since she had been handling it and she told him it was all taken care of and that he was free to re-marry. Almost 2 years later, we discovered that she actually filed the divorce papers 2 days after my husband and I got married and nothing else was ever done on the case after that.

For a couple on months, my husband has been working on finalizing the divorce and today, we were informed that the judge will be signing off next week.

My husband and I plan on re-marrying. I need advice on the correct steps to take:

1) Do we have to first annul our marriage, even though it is legally void?

If yes,

2) Does anybody know what forms we need to fill? No kids/property issues since we will be re-marrying anyway.

3) Is there a minimum wait time for an annulment?

We live in CA.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CA

Almost 2 years after our wedding, my husband and I found out that his divorce to his ex-wife was never finalized.
Brief History: They got married and parted ways after 6 months. My husband says that before he got married to me, he contacted her to ask about the divorce, since she had been handling it and she told him it was all taken care of and that he was free to re-marry. Almost 2 years later, we discovered that she actually filed the divorce papers 2 days after my husband and I got married and nothing else was ever done on the case after that.

For a couple on months, my husband has been working on finalizing the divorce and today, we were informed that the judge will be signing off next week.

My husband and I plan on re-marrying. I need advice on the correct steps to take:

1) Do we have to first annul our marriage, even though it is legally void?

If yes,

2) Does anybody know what forms we need to fill? No kids/property issues since we will be re-marrying anyway.

3) Is there a minimum wait time for an annulment?

We live in CA.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
You really need a consult with a local attorney to be certain, but I would just advise getting married again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">