• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment through fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irritum

I live in Alaska. I had met someone in August of 2014, who I fell in love with and married. She is not a citizen, but she got her conditional green card through my support as her husband. The marriage was spontaneous and we were able to skip the visa requirement through this.

A year into our marriage, I began to wonder about if she was faithful or not. Someone I know proved to me about her hidden facebook account, and it showed her as in a relationship with someone else back in England where she was when we first met online. I spoke with this other guy, and at first he did not believe me, but I showed him all the evidence, wedding photos, everything. He then broke off his relationship with her, and it turns out they were together for 5 years. So she was in a relationship way before she met me, and was living a double life. She wanted to go back to England for 6 months, which I now know was to spend time with this guy, then come back. 6 months, because that is the max allotted time a green card will allow her to be outside of the US.

I have a lot of evidence. I have conversation logs with this other victim who thought she was faithful to him, and I found some other things of hers in my place since she has been out of country in Thailand on a family visit. In my place, I found Christmas cards, valentines day cards, and other love letters and pictures of them together. I only found these things right after I learned of her hidden facebook account, as I wondered if there was anymore evidence.

My question is, do I have what sounds like a solid case to go for an annulment of marriage under the notification of fraud? From what it sounds like, fraud would include the concealment of anything that would make a marriage unstable. I have tried to verify this online and I have come up empty handed in finding clarification on my case.

Thanks for any help.

Edit* I forgot to add that she is still out of the country and only intends to come back for a short time to get her stuff. She is also staying out of contact with me, so there is no chance of her staying with me any longer, which I know part of the requirements of an annulment is you cannot live together after such a discovery. Since she is unreachable, her name has been taken off the lease of where I live and I have changed the door locks. So that part is taken care of.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in Alaska. I had met someone in August of 2014, who I fell in love with and married. She is not a citizen, but she got her conditional green card through my support as her husband. The marriage was spontaneous and we were able to skip the visa requirement through this.

A year into our marriage, I began to wonder about if she was faithful or not. Someone I know proved to me about her hidden facebook account, and it showed her as in a relationship with someone else back in England where she was when we first met online. I spoke with this other guy, and at first he did not believe me, but I showed him all the evidence, wedding photos, everything. He then broke off his relationship with her, and it turns out they were together for 5 years. So she was in a relationship way before she met me, and was living a double life. She wanted to go back to England for 6 months, which I now know was to spend time with this guy, then come back. 6 months, because that is the max allotted time a green card will allow her to be outside of the US.

I have a lot of evidence. I have conversation logs with this other victim who thought she was faithful to him, and I found some other things of hers in my place since she has been out of country in Thailand on a family visit. In my place, I found Christmas cards, valentines day cards, and other love letters and pictures of them together. I only found these things right after I learned of her hidden facebook account, as I wondered if there was anymore evidence.

My question is, do I have what sounds like a solid case to go for an annulment of marriage under the notification of fraud? From what it sounds like, fraud would include the concealment of anything that would make a marriage unstable. I have tried to verify this online and I have come up empty handed in finding clarification on my case.

Thanks for any help.

Edit* I forgot to add that she is still out of the country and only intends to come back for a short time to get her stuff. She is also staying out of contact with me, so there is no chance of her staying with me any longer, which I know part of the requirements of an annulment is you cannot live together after such a discovery. Since she is unreachable, her name has been taken off the lease of where I live and I have changed the door locks. So that part is taken care of.
Get a divorce - in your case, it's easier and cheaper.

ETA: If you agreed to support her, you may really be stuck.

tranquility

I'd see an attorney. Then, rather than fight for annulment, I'd probably just divorce her. Part of the reason for the attorney has to do with your self-help "eviction". You don't have the power to just remove her from the lease and change the locks.

latigo

Thanks for any help.

Obviously you know the specific grounds for voiding a marriage in Alaska. So what convinces you that she fraudulently induced or manipulated you into matrimony. In contrast you admit to have met, fell in love and tied the knot.

Besides even if she deceitfully denied any such pre-marital relationships as inducement, your evidence of it is hearsay.

File for the divorce. Its six of one and half dozen of another. In fact if you wish, in your petition you could pray that the marriage be voided, or in the alternative dissolved. The judge might care less and just void it.

He'll probably be half a sleep anyway.

Last edited:

Bali Hai

Thanks for any help.

So she is aware that she has been exposed? She travels the globe after your marriage for the maximum leave from the US and it took you a year to become suspicious? I'm wondering why you would marry Ms. International Traveler and not do your detective work before tying the knot?

irritum

The self help eviction was not done by me. I made my landlord aware and he took every legal Avenue to reach her. Since he couldn't reach her, he was able to evict her.

The support I mentioned was for supporting her as an alien entering the country and having my backing as her connection to being here. Once I divorce her that obviously ends that.

I would have thought conversation logs and logs of her admitting to this would have been enough to convince someone that she lied. The other victim said he would also assist me in proving her lies.

I won't even get to Bali Hai since it isn't pertinent to the topic.

So what I'm getting is that I should take the divorce route? Does my situation sound like a lawyer is absolutely necessary?

Thanks to the helpful ones out there.

irritum

Forgot to also ask, I have no way of getting ahold of her. If she is out of the country, can I still divorce her? Does she need to be present for this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The self help eviction was not done by me. I made my landlord aware and he took every legal Avenue to reach her. Since he couldn't reach her, he was able to evict her.
He cannot change the contract without her permission. YOU changed the locks, which amounts to an illegal eviction.

Beyond that, I would say that YES, you will need an attorney to help you. Try to find one who is also experienced in complications due to immigration status, etc.

irritum

My landlord had to write up a new lease agreement for all tenants while she has been away. After we could not reach her for several days, he just simply didn't include her in the lease. He also changed the locks, not me.

Though this does seem like to much for me to do on my own, I will just hire an attorney. Thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction.

Bali Hai

My landlord had to write up a new lease agreement for all tenants while she has been away. After we could not reach her for several days, he just simply didn't include her in the lease. He also changed the locks, not me.

Though this does seem like to much for me to do on my own, I will just hire an attorney. Thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction.
The next time you meet someone on line and wants to live in Alaska, consider that a big red flag.

latigo

Forgot to also ask, I have no way of getting a hold of her. If she is out of the country, can I still divorce her? Does she need to be present for this?
YES - you can obtain a divorce in Alaska even though the spouse is residing elsewhere, or her whereabouts is unknown. (The same as a marriage can be declared void. With you a resident of Alaska the court would have in rem jurisdiction over the marriage and be able to either dissolve it or declare it void ab initio.)

NO - you do not necessarily need to have a way of "getting a hold of her".

NO - she does not need to be present "for this".

HOWEVER, you must either complete personal service of process upon her, OR effect such service by substituted means all as set forth in Rule 4 of the Alaska Court Rules.

The question is whether you as a layperson would have the wherewithal to understand and comply with those complicated Court Rules.

Bali Hai

YES - you can obtain a divorce in Alaska even though the spouse is residing elsewhere, or her whereabouts is unknown. (The same as a marriage can be declared void. With you a resident of Alaska the court would have in rem jurisdiction over the marriage and be able to either dissolve it or declare it void ab initio.)

NO - you do not necessarily need to have a way of "getting a hold of her".

NO - she does not need to be present "for this".

HOWEVER, you must either complete personal service of process upon her, OR effect such service by substituted means all as set forth in Rule 4 of the Alaska Court Rules.

The question is whether you as a layperson would have the wherewithal to understand and comply with those complicated Court Rules.
Not surprising, Alaska elected Sarah Palin for governor. Don't know what I mean? Read the news.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The support I mentioned was for supporting her as an alien entering the country and having my backing as her connection to being here. Once I divorce her that obviously ends that.
LOL Don't be so sure on that point! You're still her sponsor.

irritum

I do not know who the hell this Bali Hai person is. I absolutely did not vote for Sarah Palin. That is at least one thing I am proud of. You obviously serve no real purpose in this forum, and I wonder why you stick around here. Please stop derailing my topic.

I appreciate people like latigo. I appreciate responses like yours. Only from people like you can I get information in this hard time for me and not from the likes of bigots and trolls.

Latigo, I will take to my attorney who I will hire responses that you have given me. Thanks for helping me out. You have at least contributed something to me from this site that I can at least work with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">