• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment in VA for Green Card "Fraud"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mack.DC

Virginia

Hello, I am in love with a girl from a foreign country who just entered on a fiancee visa. The government is forcing us to get married in only 90 days. We are in love, and we are a real couple, however we do not feel ready to be married. Really what I want is to date her for a year or so, then make such a serious decision. But that's impossible because of the damn 90 day requirement. Basically we have no choice but to live in her country (no way) or to commit marriage fraud. Thanks Uncle Sam!!!!

So, my first question is this. Can we go ahead and establish grounds for an annulment now, just in case. Perhpas sign something explaining our current situation and feelings so that if we break up later we can get an annulment easily? I see that green card fraud is grounds for an annulment.

The problem with this is however, that we would be admitting green card fraud if we did present this at an annulment hearing. Then we could face a fine and even prison!

My second question is, if we do get an annulment will the court that granted it contact USCIS and inform them of our "fraud"? I do understand that she will not become a permanent resident and that she will have to leave as a condition of conditional residency. That is not a problem if we are broken up anway.

Hell, why can't we just date like normal people!!!!! I'm so mad at the government for forcing me into a choice between marriage or leaving my country!!!! I just want some legal protection from this marriage I don't want.

Last edited:

Silverplum

I can't imagine why you would think that anyone would take you seriously...the USA is not forcing anyone to get married. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What's more, we don't help people break or bend laws.
Virginia

Hello, I am in love with a girl from a foreign country who just entered on a fiancee visa. The government is forcing us to get married in only 90 days. We are in love, and we are a real couple, however we do not feel ready to be married. Really what I want is to date her for a year or so, then make such a serious decision. But that's impossible because of the damn 90 day requirement. Basically we have no choice but to live in her country (no way) or to commit marriage fraud. Thanks Uncle Sam!!!!

So, my first question is this. Can we go ahead and establish grounds for an annulment now, just in case. Perhpas sign something explaining our current situation and feelings so that if we break up later we can get an annulment easily? I see that green card fraud is grounds for an annulment.

The problem with this is however, that we would be admitting green card fraud if we did present this at an annulment hearing. Then we could face a fine and even prison!

My second question is, if we do get an annulment will the court that granted it contact USCIS and inform them of our "fraud"? I do understand that she will not become a permanent resident and that she will have to leave as a condition of conditional residency. That is not a problem if we are broken up anway.

Hell, why can't we just date like normal people!!!!! I'm so mad at the government for forcing me into a choice between marriage or leaving my country!!!! I just want some legal protection from this marriage I don't want.

LdiJ

Virginia

You already committed fraud. You committed fraud by sponsoring her for a fiance visa when you had no intention of getting married within the time frame that the visa CLEARLY indicated when you applied for it.

Mack.DC

No reason to get upset

I'm not trying to commit fraud. That's the point, which you would understand if you read the post. She's a doctor from Romania and I met her in the peace corps.

I want to get married, we are together, and we are 100% legitimate. The problem is that we do not feel ready to get married yet. And you tell me, how are we ever supposed to be ready if she is living in her country and me in mine? I can't just quit everything and move to her country. She can't get any visa to come here other than a fiancee visa. We tried.

So, she came here on a fiancee visa, we are forced to get married in only 90 days or she must leave. So, where is my engagement friend? Why is the government denying me my engagement period (or limiting it to only 90 days).

I just want to know if there is a way we can just make this paperwork, and then get a divorce or annulment easily if we break our engagement, even after we are techincally married. She would go home. And any mention of fraud, for simply wanting to get engaged like normal people is offensive to me. This is my life and my 'free' government is dictating my wedding date or keeping me seperate from my love. Those are my only choices, so yes, thanks uncle Sam for the ultimatum. And yes, if god forbid things don't work out in the next year (after we are married within 90 days) I would like to know how I can get an annulement without being convicted of fraud.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I'm not trying to commit fraud. That's the point, which you would understand if you read the post. She's a doctor from Romania and I met her in the peace corps.

I want to get married, we are together, and we are 100% legitimate. The problem is that we do not feel ready to get married yet. And you tell me, how are we ever supposed to be ready if she is living in her country and me in mine? I can't just quit everything and move to her country. She can't get any visa to come here other than a fiancee visa. We tried.

So, she came here on a fiancee visa, we are forced to get married in only 90 days or she must leave. So, where is my engagement friend? Why is the government denying me my engagement period (or limiting it to only 90 days).

I just want to know if there is a way we can just make this paperwork, and then get a divorce or annulment easily if we break our engagement, even after we are techincally married. She would go home. And any mention of fraud, for simply wanting to get engaged like normal people is offensive to me. This is my life and my 'free' government is dictating my wedding date or keeping me seperate from my love. Those are my only choices, so yes, thanks uncle Sam for the ultimatum. And yes, if god forbid things don't work out in the next year (after we are married within 90 days) I would like to know how I can get an annulement without being convicted of fraud.
You are not going to be convicted of fraud if the marriage doesn't work out, not if you are a legitimate couple, living together.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

YOu committed fraud by bringing her KNOWING you don't want to get married in 90 days. You can't get an annulment. You could get a divorce.And the government is NOT dictating that -- you could go to her country.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Our government has immigration laws for a reason. If those laws aren't convenient for you that's unfortunate, but you agreed to the timeline when you applied for the Visa.

amemait

Do yourself a favor

Virginia

Hello, I am in love with a girl from a foreign country who just entered on a fiancee visa. The government is forcing us to get married in only 90 days. We are in love, and we are a real couple, however we do not feel ready to be married.
If you are REALLY in love, what's the problem? If you're not ready to be married, then you're not REALLY in love.

So, my first question is this. Can we go ahead and establish grounds for an annulment now, just in case.
I believe that will be illegal. Besides, you are already preparing your (possible) marriage to fail. Why would you marry someone just to make it fail?

Perhpas sign something explaining our current situation and feelings so that if we break up later we can get an annulment easily? I see that green card fraud is grounds for an annulment.

Yes, as you already noted, green card fraud on your part or your fiancee is a punishable offense. Why would you do it?

I do understand that she will not become a permanent resident and that she will have to leave as a condition of conditional residency. That is not a problem if we are broken up anway.
But when you petitioned for a K-1 (fiancee) visa (I-129F), you were required to submit an I-864 Affidavit of Support which states that YOU WILL SUPPORT her should she stay in America. Divorce does NOT cancel this agreement and SHE will have the right to SUE YOU for support to maintain her at 125% of poverty level INDEFINITELY! The only way you can get out of that is: (1) she dies, (2) you die, (3) she permanently abandons her residence in USA, (4) she becomes a U.S. citizen, (5) she works in U.S. for 40 quarters - approximately 10 years. The I-864 is a binding contract between you and the government AND between you and her.

If you have any doubt that the marriage will last, do not get married. Get to know her better first. Yes, long distance relationships suck! I know because I married a foreign gal and the marriage has gone bad. I do suspect her of green card fraud because she propositioned me to suspend the divorce just so she can get a "permanent" green card. There's many more reasons, but when she asked me that, I was in shock! I kind of expected it, based on what she had done to me. I just didn't expect her to admit it that way.

You CAN date like normal people. Only it's going to be VERY expensive to do it long-distance.

The government is NOT forcing you into any choice. YOU chose to bring her here on a fiancee visa. By the time you petitioned for the visa, you should already have been mostly sure about getting married - not leaving it to 90 days of pressure. Sorry... I've been through this crap and know it's a lot to go through, but you need to take responsibility for your own actions.

Do yourself a favor and don't get married unless you are 100% sure you want the marriage to work and to last.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">