• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment or void?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tamiart

What is the name of your state? Maryland..my daughter was married for 8 years or so the last 6years they were seperated. The husband took off and when she filed her lawyer had to post in several newspapers and wait 90 days because no one had an address for him. In '96 she got married again thinking 90 days were up for the posting in the papers and therefore she was divorced. Well a few years passed and she and current husband split, 2/99, due to his drug use and domestic violence.During that time while going through her current husband's things she said she found a copy of the decree from her prior marrage. She then realized there was a month or two overlap in marrages!
She went to the county while filing for order for 2nd husband to stay away. She was told she would need to get an annulment. Also on the decree or something she was reminded that her name change hadn't gone through(when divorcing her first husband, she asked lawyer to change her name to my maiden name...why I don't know.
So she got married in a name that hadn't been changed and she was still married 2 or so months to husband #1, who is now deceased.
Is this an annulment or was she not really married at all. The last marrage was a bad one and she has been diagnosed with bi-polar and depression, probably from head trauma. I'd like to help but where do we start?
There are no children involved nor property. Her 2nd husband skipped town to avoid charges, living on the west coast, Canada or Isreal in a kibbutz, no contact or where abouts known. He's a schizophrenic drug addict.
Please help me help her.

T

tamiart

If it's void how does she do a void in Maryland? Also her 1st husband died 2 years ago. Do you mean SSI benies from his account..even if they were divorced by the time he (#1) died?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">