• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment vs. divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shokolit

VA
We got married 3 months ago and for different reasons separated quickly after that and were never intimate with each other. Is this grounds for an annulment or do we have to get a divorce? If we do have to get a divorce, is there a way of doing that without using an attorney? We have no mutual kids or any assets together, and really have no need for a lawyer since we are good friends and just want to not be married any more...
Thanks!

Farfalla

Divorce is quicker and easier.

Can you do it yourself? Yes. I've done this for myself in the past. It's not hard if you know what is required and both of you agree.

But I get the impression that you and he have no clue about how to do this... it will take you a while to figure it out. Have you interviewed any attornies in your area who do uncontested divorces? They can be very inexpensive.

Do a google search on "virginia uncontested divorce" and than do some reading to educate yourself on this. At the very least it could help you get some knowledge that wil help you find an attorney who will do it for a ver low fee.

mistoffolees

Divorce is quicker and easier.

Can you do it yourself? Yes. I've done this for myself in the past. It's not hard if you know what is required and both of you agree.

But I get the impression that you and he have no clue about how to do this... it will take you a while to figure it out. Have you interviewed any attornies in your area who do uncontested divorces? They can be very inexpensive.

Do a google search on "virginia uncontested divorce" and than do some reading to educate yourself on this. At the very least it could help you get some knowledge that wil help you find an attorney who will do it for a ver low fee.
I almost always suggest an attorney.

If the divorce is complicated and/or contested, you need an attorney to protect your rights.

If the divorce is very simple, an attorney isn't too expensive.

In either case, an attorney can generally protect you from mistakes which could be very costly in the long run.

The only time I'd suggest doing it alone is if the divorce is very simple (as this one appears to be - although there are certainly circumstances where even the case described above could be difficult) AND if the party who wants to file is familiar enough with the law to handle the level of detail required. In my experience, those two conditions just aren't met that often.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">