• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment vs. Divorce, or Legal Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bgbite91

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My marriage is just under 2 years.
Would it be best to file Abandonment under Annulment, Divorce, or Legal Separation?
I am about to inherit a large sum of money, and I would like to protect my assets?
Thank you for your response.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Silverplum

Would it be best to file Abandonment under Annulment, Divorce, or Legal Separation?
I am about to inherit a large sum of money, and I would like to protect my assets?
CA's a no-fault state. You don't "file abandonment."

After 2 years, you don't have an annulment. You file for divorce.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Or, you keep the inheritance in a totally separate account from any marital funds and don't ever put any martial funds in to that account.
That way you don't have to divorce the love of your life :)rolleyes:)

LdiJ

Your inheritance will be safe as long as you don't co-mingle it with marital funds or assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">