• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulments name change for woman- are they allowed to use married last name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gobonas99

yes

It is the woman's option to keep her married name or to revert to her maiden name. Most women keep their married names, particularly if kids are involved, or if she uses it professionally. I only know one woman who reverted to her maiden name, and she has no kids, and was still in grad school at the time.

usmcfamily

They are "allowed" to use ANY name they choose -- their maiden name, the name of their former husband or the President if they so choose -- anyone (be they married, divorced or single) can choose whatever sur name they want......then all that is left is to go through the legal process of making it "official" which in the case of a divorce or annulment the process is marking whether they want to revert to their maiden name or keep the married name........

stephenk

Annulment or divorce? if annulment, determination is made that marriage never existed. therefore, no purpose or legal ground to keep "married" name, right?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stephenk said:
Annulment or divorce? if annulment, determination is made that marriage never existed. therefore, no purpose or legal ground to keep "married" name, right?

My response:

Stephen, I'm not sure of the purpose of your question; i.e. where you're headed with the question. Could you explain your possible theory or meaning or purpose a little more in depth?

Also, to whom was your question directed - - the original writer, or to one or more of the responders to the thread.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">