• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anullment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pliggett

What is the name of your state? Texas
I got married in Florida only 2 weeks after I was divorced. I live in Texas and have not lived with the person I married since we got married.
I concealed on my marriage application that I had just been divorced. She lives in South America and I live here and now she is wanting to get the marriage anulled.
Since I lied on my marriage application what kind of legal problems am I facing?

S

seniorjudge

pliggett said:
I got married in Florida only 2 weeks after I was divorced. I live in Texas and have not lived with the person I married since we got married.
I concealed on my marriage application that I had just been divorced. She lives in South America and I live here and now she is wanting to get the marriage anulled.
Since I lied on my marriage application what kind of legal problems am I facing?
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0741/ch0741.htm

Start your search here.

rmet4nzkx

pliggett said:
You have double trouble, if you live in Texas and your divorce was in Texas, then: Remarriage: Texas law forbids you from marrying a third party for the 30 days immediately after the divorce decree is final, although this may be waived for good cause. That is 30 days after you have a copy of the final decree in hand, sometime they sit on a judges desk. It sounds like you qualify for an annulment.

S

seniorjudge

rmet4nzkx said:
You have double trouble, if you live in Texas and your divorce was in Texas, then: Remarriage: Texas law forbids you from marrying a third party for the 30 days immediately after the divorce decree is final, although this may be waived for good cause. That is 30 days after you have a copy of the final decree in hand, sometime they sit on a judges desk. It sounds like you qualify for an annulment.
Doc, I suspect it is always easier to get a divorce than an annulment....

rmet4nzkx

seniorjudge said:
Doc, I suspect it is always easier to get a divorce than an annulment....
Well he wasn't eligible to remary, it was less than 30 days, they never lived together and she lives in South America. At least she doesn't want a green card.

S

seniorjudge

rmet4nzkx said:
Well he wasn't eligible to remary, it was less than 30 days, they never lived together and she lives in South America. At least she doesn't want a green card.
Well...he could start his petition: "Just in case I was married...."

LdiJ

rmet4nzkx said:
He wasn't eligible to remarry if he was divorced in Texas....he stated that he lives in Texas now, but didn't say where he got divorced. She probably wants an annulment for religious reasons. They could pursue a civil divorce and a religious annulment. (that is, if she is catholic)

It doesn't appear that they have anything to fight over. Even if he did marry too quickly as long as neither of them make an issue of that a civil divorce should be just a formality for them.

pliggett

Annulment

I was divorced in Texas, got married in Miami Fl only 2 weeks after I was divorced. We both want the annulment, not for religious reasons but because we made a mistake and got married. I was divorced 7/12/03 got married 7/27/03. Is there a statute of limitiations in this case?

rmet4nzkx

Facts are facts. Consult an attorney in Texas to resolve this issue appropriately based on the facts, which may include but not limited to annulment

pliggett

The person who wants to get the anullment for religious reason actually is me. After marrying her I found out that she is a "Santera" and it was just too much for me to accept, the idea of using animals in cleansing rituals and sacrifices is un-acceptable to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">