• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anullment ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

therunningman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
North Carolina

I married a woman from Russia in 2002 in North Carolina.
Recently I found out that she was married to another man in Russia when she married me in 2002.

We have two children and now live out of state.
Which documents are needed for an anullment ?

Last edited:

LdiJ

North Carolina

Recently I found out that she was married to another man in Russia when she married me in 2002.

You have two children together, an annulment could be a problem. Where did you get the information that she was married to someone else in Russia and what proof do you have that they did not divorce?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
North Carolina

In what state do you both presently live and how long have you both lived there?

therunningman

Thank you Zigner, OHRoadWarrior and LdiJ for your input.
To answer your questions, the information comes from the Russian court system.
There is a marriage certificate but no Divorce certificate registered and according to the lawyer I paid
in Russia, that means she is still married in Russia.
She did produce a divorce certificate to the US Immigration office, but according to the Russian lawyer
It was not registered in the court house in Russia so it is not valid.

We married in North Carolina in 2002.
We lived in California from 2002 to 2008.
We have lived in Europe since 2008 but most of the time here we have been seperated.

I have discussed this issue with 4 lawyers in Europe.
3 lawyers said that the marriage should be annulled, but
It must be annulled where the marriage was entered into (North Carolina).
1 lawyer said to hide her previous marriage because the children would belong to her Russian husband but the other 3 lawyers said this was wrong advice.

She is also married to another man in another ex soviet country but that document is difficult and expensive to find. 1 marriage should be enough to annul the marriage, shouldn't it ?

The question is which document is needed to annull the North Carolina marriage ?

LdiJ

Thank you Zigner, OHRoadWarrior and LdiJ for your input.
To answer your questions, the information comes from the Russian court system.
There is a marriage certificate but no Divorce certificate registered and according to the lawyer I paid
in Russia, that means she is still married in Russia.
She did produce a divorce certificate to the US Immigration office, but according to the Russian lawyer
It was not registered in the court house in Russia so it is not valid.

We married in North Carolina in 2002.
We lived in California from 2002 to 2008.
We have lived in Europe since 2008 but most of the time here we have been seperated.

I have discussed this issue with 4 lawyers in Europe.
3 lawyers said that the marriage should be annulled, but
It must be annulled where the marriage was entered into (North Carolina).
1 lawyer said to hide her previous marriage because the children would belong to her Russian husband but the other 3 lawyers said this was wrong advice.

She is also married to another man in another ex soviet country but that document is difficult and expensive to find. 1 marriage should be enough to annul the marriage, shouldn't it ?

The question is which document is needed to annull the North Carolina marriage ?
You are going to have to consult an attorney in North Carolina, but again, I am not sure that you can do what you want to do. Neither of you are current residents of NC therefore the NC courts would not consider that they have any jurisdiction over the matter. Wouldn't it be a lot simpler just to get a divorce?

therunningman

Neither of you are current residents of NC therefore the NC courts would not consider that they have any jurisdiction over the matter. Wouldn't it be a lot simpler just to get a divorce?
Thanks for the reply LdiJ,
The lawyers in Europe said that the marriage needs to be annulled where it was entered into, i.e. N.C.

The 3 lawyers who suggested the annullment said the annullment would be easier and quicker than a divorce.
With a divorce, she receives alimony payments from me. With an annullment she does not. Also, divorces here in Europe
Are expensive and are never simple.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
The lawyers in Europe said that the marriage needs to be annulled where it was entered into, i.e. N.C.

The 3 lawyers who suggested the annullment said the annullment would be easier and quicker than a divorce.
With a divorce, she receives alimony payments from me. With an annullment she does not. Also, divorces here in Europe
Not in the US. :cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

And unless you are residents of NC, you cannot get an annulment in N.C. In addition, she could have gotten divorced in the US from her Russian husband which would be valid in the US but maybe not in Russia.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Consult a lawyer, however, you should be able to obtain custody under paternity law and/or assumption of parental role. It should not be complicated.

Zigner

You're not going to get an annulment in NC because you're not a resident of NC.

FlyingRon

Well, in North Carolina a bigamous marriage is AB INITIO VOID. You are NOT married. Unfortunately, you'll probably want some documentation of that.
Annullment is not "complicated" nor harder than divorce in NC if you qualify. Bigamous marriages are the EASIEST (even after kids are born) to be annulled. All you show is that the person was already married and the court will show that the marriage is ALREADY void.

As stated, the problem is that NC requires that you reside there for six months before you can avail yourself of the court there.

Zigner

OP apparently resides in Russia. This is a Russian law question, not a US law question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">