• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

anullment from a liar?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SadGuy

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have been married less than a week and dated her for 5 years prior to marriage.

In the past (I thought) she had a problem telling me the truth, for the past year or so (to the best of my knowledge) she has focused on her problem and appeared to have it remedied.

Now, less than a week into marriage I have uncovered another lie. It is a lie regarding a financial matter (I have learned we are supplying cell phones for her DAUGHTER and her BOYFRIEND). In response to my specific inquiry, she has told me the daughter's cell phone
was on a prepaid basis. My in laws told me about the boyfriends phone, and that is
in the process of resolution ( while not divulged, this was not a blatant face/face lie).
I understand this is not an earth shattering fib, but it opens pandora's box regarding other possible mistruths I potentially may discover.

I understand one of the elements to anullment is fraud, in turn I recognize a "cell phone lie" should not be terms to dissolve a marriage (I will not give up that easily).

Tell me, if I discover additional mistruths....what would constitute fraud at marriage?
I did ask her directly the week prior to our marriage "do you still have problems telling me the truth in ANY circumstance", her answer was a resounding "NO problem...I tell the truth".
Therefore, at marriage inception I had every behavioral and verbal verification I could obtain to verify her problem had been resolved and was no longer a factor.

This is my first marriage, and if this does not work out I don't want to be a "divorcee".
I do not mean to disrespect anyone who is a "divorcee".

Thanks.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I have been married less than a week and dated her for 5 years prior to marriage.

In the past (I thought) she had a problem telling me the truth, for the past year or so (to the best of my knowledge) she has focused on her problem and appeared to have it remedied.

Now, less than a week into marriage I have uncovered another lie. It is a lie regarding a financial matter (I have learned we are supplying cell phones for her DAUGHTER and her BOYFRIEND). In response to my specific inquiry, she has told me the daughter's cell phone
was on a prepaid basis. My in laws told me about the boyfriends phone, and that is
in the process of resolution ( while not divulged, this was not a blatant face/face lie).
I understand this is not an earth shattering fib, but it opens pandora's box regarding other possible mistruths I potentially may discover.

I understand one of the elements to anullment is fraud, in turn I recognize a "cell phone lie" should not be terms to dissolve a marriage (I will not give up that easily).

Tell me, if I discover additional mistruths....what would constitute fraud at marriage?
I did ask her directly the week prior to our marriage "do you still have problems telling me the truth in ANY circumstance", her answer was a resounding "NO problem...I tell the truth".
Therefore, at marriage inception I had every behavioral and verbal verification I could obtain to verify her problem had been resolved and was no longer a factor.

This is my first marriage, and if this does not work out I don't want to be a "divorcee".

Thanks.
The kind of lies you speak of are likely not enough to "annul" a marriage. "Fraud" is something more along the lines of her saying she's a woman, but turning out to be a man...

On a related note, when you ask a liar if they are going to tell a lie...and they say no, who's fault is it? :rolleyes:
You walked in to this with your eyes wide shut.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Long enough to know her.

Okay so you made a decision to marry her knowing that she sometimes had a problem telling the truth.

Okay so you are assuming that a lie about the cell phone leads to other cell phones even though it was not a blatant face/face lie (which by the way I dont know if many of us would know what the heck that is).

Fraud at marriage: an example would be her saying she wants to bear your children and will get pregnant with your children yet she knows that will NEVER happen because she had a hysterectomy.

I
did ask her directly the week prior to our marriage "do you still have problems telling me the truth in ANY circumstance", her answer was a resounding "NO problem...I tell the truth".
YOu asked someone that you know lies (a liar) to tell you the truth and are surprised that she may have lied? That is NOT fraud. A bit naive maybe but not fraud.

Thanks.
Well then maybe you can just stay married until you become a widower.

SadGuy

Big Dummy

I understand the "nurse a snake back to health and then when it bites you and you wonder why.....because its a snake" scenario. I am a trusting Dweeb.

While I am certain of her gender, lack of criminal history etc., what would I have to discover (my guess it would be financial) to satisfy the conditions of anullment?

I hope all of this is moot, I would like to know the threshold to satisfy the elements (just in case)?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I understand the "nurse a snake back to health and then when it bites you and you wonder why.....because its a snake" scenario. I am a trusting Dweeb.

While I am certain of her gender, lack of criminal history etc., what would I have to discover (my guess it would be financial) to satisfy the conditions of anullment?

I hope all of this is moot, I would like to know the threshold to satisfy the elements (just in case)?
You've been given your answer (twice).
You won't be able to get annulment (ok, we're talking 99.5% chance - there's always the odd-ball judge out there ;) )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">