• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

anyone know what my chances are of receiving temp sole and exclusive poss.of home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

court76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

This will be long so if you can hang in there I would appreciate it.

My husband has Asperger's Syndrome, a form of high functioning autism. This made him ver cruel and emotionally and financially abusive during the course of our marriage. I hung in there because I thought "I could change him", mistake I know, but I thought that with counseling and love we could pull through.

There are a total of three children involved. My two girls are from a prior marriage (we were both young it ended amicably) although he raised the youngest girl from birth, we have one three year old son together. During the course of our marriage my husband withheld money from me so that during parts of our marriage I was unable to provide basic neccessities for the children. I did do a small part time work from home job but the pay was basically just gas money to get my youngest daughter (who is 6) back and forth to various therapies (she is also a high functioning autistic). My husband has also abused our pets, throwing them against walls and such. He never physically abused me or the children but did emotionally abuse us. Its hard to describe how, it was so odd. Like chinese water torture, slow and subtle.

On Mother's Day in 2006 he allowed his mother to nearly physically assault me and allowed her to chase me and our children out of our home and then harass me on the phone at my parents' house where I had to seek shelter. After this incident he would tell me that I was crazy, sick, and twisted and needed to be institutionalized for being upset over the Mother's Day incident. He frequently told me I was "damaged goods" because I had been married once before. In late June of 2006 him and I got in an argument. There is no point in arguing with him because his syndrome creates a large communication issue, I left the house to prevent getting further frustrated and took the children with me (for their safety as he wasn't very capable of supervising the children properly). The children and I had dinner with my parents and returned home at 11pm. It was storming really bad, thunder and lightning. When I returned to my home I found out that my husband had locked our storm door to prevent me and the children from getting in the home. I called him because I could see that he was still up but he wouldn't answer either phone, I rang the doorbell, I knocked on the door, I honked the car's horn. No answer. I left and returned to my parents' house. The next day I returned home and told him that I understood that family life was overwhelming for him and that I was going to my parents' for one week so that he could have a "vacation" from us to get some clarity and and restore himself. We both agreed at that point on counseling both together and separately and that I would return home 6 days later on Saturday.

On Monday, his mother harassed my family via phone conversation. On Tuesday I went to buy diapers for my son and get money out of the atm for a copay for his 1 year old well baby visit and discovered that my husband had emptied all the money from the checking account. On thursday I found a tape recorder that my husband had been using to tape me and the children when we would enter the house while he was at work so that we could shower. On Saturday morning I returned home to get ready to go to a bbq with my family with the intention of returning to my home permanently that evening. My husband was there although he had told me he had to work. I asked where he was going and he said to see a counselor (a common trait of Asperger's syndrome is word play using a different meaning of a word to trick someone into thinking something else). After some thought I realized he meant a lawyer, "counselor". When I called him to speak to him about retaining a lawyer without talking to me first he hung up on me.

When I returned home at 5pm that day I walked up to my home to find out that the locks had been changed. I called him and left a voicemail message that he had 45 minutes to let me in the house or bring me a key or I had no other choice than to call the sheriff's department. I actually waited two hours before calling but when I did they sent a deputy who said I could break in to my home since I am also on the title. I had to throw a brick through my own window just to get access to my own house to get my children some clothes and a few toys. I did not stay in the house because at that point I feared for my life.

A few days later ( I had to wait until our court was open and it was 4th of July weekend) I obtained a restraining order against him, before doing that I did not hear a word from him not even for him to see how the children were doing. I lived in my parents' house while my home remained empty. Being stupid and naive I allowed his lawyer's paralegal to talk me into dropping the restraining order two weeks later, during that hearing the judge told me he advised against it.

court76

cont.

(cont.)
Both husband and I returned to our home. We both went to counseling. He refused to put money back into the joint checking account for two months after that insisting that I ask him for money for the children and my needs. He refused to make our life a marriage, it was very difficult on me because I was trying my best to make it work but he refused to compromise. He wanted to have his cake and eat it too. During this "reconciliation" phase he called me a b*t%$ two times in front of the children (I don't curse at all) and insisted that I was the one with the mental disorder not him (based on the fact that my mother has bipolar disorder, but I most certainly do not). It got to the point that my stomach would hurt with the thought of him returning home from work.

We even tried to "controlled separations with him very reluctantly leaving the house only to have him returning every day for dinner and a shower and leaving at 10pm so he wasn't ever really gone. Then both times he came home unexpectedly and told me that he was staying. He would tell me that he was jealous of the time I spent with the children (recall one of my children has autism and it places a lot of demands on my time).

It all came to a head in October 2007. I was cleaning the house, as I did every.single. day. My children have terrible allergies that require immunotherapy shots for and my house must be impeccably clean to keep them from getting sick. As far as housecleaning goes folding laundry is my only weak area, I just didn't have time for it after taking my daughter to therapy 4 times a week (we live in a rural area so its a 40 minute drive each way to therapy), cooking dinner, homework, baths, and cleaning the rest of the house (husband was no help at all). So, on this Sunday husband went into the room where the laundry was and separated it into piles for me to fold, he couldn't just fold it himself he put it in piles for me to fold. This made me angry, I saw it as controlling me, because he wanted me to fold the laundry that day and I had other plans for the day after I finished cleaning the house, I wanted us to do something fun together as a family. I calmly told him that I would get to it later. At this point he began to belittle me telling me that I was a horrible housekeeper and that our house always smelled bad. It was a lie and it was said to me for no other reason than to hurt me but it was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. I started crying and hyperventilating (remember this was years worth of this treatment building up in me). I called my parents to come and comfort me because I was terribly distraught. My husband called the police on me and said I was threatening him. The only threat I made was to divorce him but remember that word play I mentioned earlier.

A deputy came and told me that if I did not stop crying she was going to have cps place my children in foster care that night. :( I was crying I was an abused spouse, I was scared and upset but apparently in my county crying makes one emotionally unstable and an unfit parent. She told me that based on what my husband told her (she spoke with him first for about an hour but refused to let me state my side) that she was going to have to serve an emergency protective order against me preventing me from committing any further aacts of abuse against my family (I don't even spank my children, I am the least violent, abusive, and confrontational person you could ever meet). She did change her mind and instead told me that I would have to leave the home and if I didn't leave in 30 minutes then she would have the EPO served on me. She said I could return the next day but if they were EVER called to my home again that I was going to jail. I asked her (out of concern) what would happen if my husband was beating me or one of the children (which I was very concerned about because husband's own father attempted to murder husband's mother) and the deputy told me that I was being sarcastic and to stop asking those types of questions. :eek:

So, I had 30 minutes to gather what I could of my and my children's belongings and left to go to my parents' home (again). I did not return to my home because I am scared of my husband. He seems very benign and charming to those that don't really know him but I think he has the capability of being very very dangerous. One week later I went and file for custody and support of our son and retained a lawyer (my parents' funded this) who file a complaint for divorce on the grounds of constructive desertion.

I did get sole physical custody of my son and child support with husband having visitation. However, the civil aspect of the case has been held up. Husband and his lawyer do not sign any documents by the required time and they get away with it. Like I said we live in a rural area and the court system is very backed up, months backed up. It took him almost 60 days to answer my complaint. During this waiting period I have tried to negotiate with husband regarding the house. Making a compromise that I would live in it with the children for three months and they he would and we would go back and forth like this until everything was final. He has refused to compromise.

So, its been nearly a year and my children and I have been living in a partially finished basement all sharing a full size sofa sleeper. We are basically homeless. I can't afford a place of our own. I lost my work at home job due to being out of my home and unable to get the internet connection required to do the job from where I am currently. I can't get a job outside of the home that will allow me to find a place of our own due to my daughter's therapy schedule, it requires A LOT of time. I have tried to get a court to hear the issue of the marital home pende lite this entire time but husband and his lawyer will not pick a date (although my lawyer always provides them with three for their choosing). Finally my lawyer did something and was able to obtain a pende lite trial set for September 24th without husband and his lawyer agreeing to the date.

So, my question is this...what are my odds of getting a temporary exclusive use and possession award based on my husband's conduct, the fact that I am a custodial parent, and the fact that I can earn a bit of income if I get back in my home (my job will take me back). I cannot afford to pay the whole mortgage at this time (my name is on the deed but not the mortgage) but I can pay half and the utilities and will probably be able to pay the whole mortgage within 8 months or so. I also would have no problem putting the home on the market if I were in it. I won't agree to it if I am not living in the home because we purchased the home for $255,00 but our market has declined horribly so that houses that are even nicer than ours are selling for only $130,000-150,000 so we have no equity in our home and would have to pay to actually sell it, so I know it would be years before the house could be reasonably sold.

I am scared, this is the only chance I have. My children and I cannot keep living here. Like I stated my mother is bipolar and it makes for sometimes unhealthy environment for the children and I. Virginia is a very expensive place to live. I have checked with nearly every county in Virginia to see if their section 8 and private subsidizing waiting lists were open and none of them are taking applications. I don't know what to do, this pende lite trial is the only thing that can give my children a stable and healthy place to live.

Please help. :(

LdiJ

If you can't afford the mortgage, utilities and living expenses, then you should not be asking for possession of the marital home. That isn't reasonable or logical.

Getting an internet connection at your parent's home, so that you can earn some income, would be the reasonable and logical thing to do. Using that income to help improve your living quarters at your parent's home is also the reasonable and logical thing to do.

You are going to have to support yourself and your older children (why is their father not providing support for them?) and provide your share of the support for your younger child. That is simply reality.

court76

We live in a rural area, there is no internet available other than dial up, the contract for my job requires that I have a broadband internet connection. I paid $1000 to have a satellite installed at my home so that I could work, I am also still paying the $100 a month for the service there. Satellite is not an option at my parents' house because there are too many trees and we are not allowed to cut the trees down because the house is located in a designated preservation area.

There is no improving my living situation at my parents' home, there is nothing that can be done to it. Its an older ranch home and is quite small and its my parents' home, I am not going to make changes to it that they do not want, its not MY home.

If you read my post I stated that I could afford to pay HALF the mortgage currently, all the utilities and the rest of the living expenses. In about 8 months after I begin to get my income back I could afford the rest of the mortgage, it may be sooner than 8 months. I have been supporting my children on my own since the beginning of my marriage. My older children's father does pay child support, and that and my income is what bought our groceries, our clothes, toys, and entertainment since the day they have been born. The only thing my husband ever paid was the mortgage and the electricity and he made 100% more money that I did. He wouldn't even put me on a cell phone plan with him.

I may sound angry because I am. You seem to agree that my husband's behavior towards me and the children was warranted and that he should be allowed to get away with making his wife and children homeless. If he physically assaulted me would your answer still be the same? I would have much rather have been physically abused then the awful emotional abuse my children and I endured.

And I don't appreciate the tone of your post making me out to be some mooch who doesn't want to work to take care of her family. Before my daughter was born I worked outside of the home and I worked very hard. My daughter is autistic and if you don't have an autistic child you can't possibly begin to imagine how much time they require. I am at doctors five days a week with her. Each appointment takes an hour to get to, lasts an hour, and then takes an hour to an hour and a half to get back from depending on traffic. That is a minimum of three hours a day for appointments. Did I mention my little boy is believed to be autistic as well? No one will watch my children because they are very difficult and around here it would cost me roughly $1800 a month just for childcare, that would be my entire paycheck...unless I worked from home at the job I held for three years. I worked overnight while my children were sleeping and early in the morning. I am able to work more than full time at that job if I would so choose and the hourly pay is more than I would be able to get at any outside of the home job.

I am frustrated, frustrated regarding my husband's behavior, the lack of justice in my county, and the lack of sympathy and support from people.

court76

Also my husband hasn't even ever supported my youngest child, his biological child. When the baby needed new clothes in September for the fall (a month before he removed us from the home) he told me to go ask my parents to buy him some. So, I did and I paid them back. All my son's possessions in our home that my husband is keeping from us were purchased by me and my parents. The child's bed, sheets, clothes, paint on his wall, toys, dishes, EVERYTHING. I even paid the co-insurance for the hospital bills resulting from his birth. My husband did purchase diapers, wipes, and the occasional $15 co-pay for his doctor visits, however, when my son required an emergency room visit and there was a $100 co-pay I was made to pay that.

So, yes, I have been paying MORE than my share of my youngest child's support since his birth, my parents provided most of the remaining, and my husband provided/provides the little left over. :mad:

Silverplum

If you read my post I stated that I could afford to pay HALF the mortgage currently,
Be sure to tell the bank that you can afford HALF. They'll jump with joy at the chance to take HALF of what they're owed.

The advice you received was smart advice. Pity you don't appreciate it.
court76 said:
And I don't appreciate the tone of your post blahblahbitterstuff.

I am frustrated, frustrated regarding my husband's behavior, the lack of justice in my county, and the lack of sympathy and support from people.
Funny, you got support from one of the most supportive members on FA. For free.

But you didn't like the advice, and you didn't like the support.

Not a single one of the other senior members, IMO, would bend over backwards to help you. When you wrote The Novel Of The 21st Century (I sure didn't read the whole neverending thing) -- you only got a response from LdiJ. Wonder why?

We're not interested in the angry bitter stuff. Leave the emotions out. We're not Dr. Phil.

Ask legal questions, and boil it down to pertinent facts. That's how you get good legal advice on a legal advice forum.

court76

I did ask legal stuff, the emotional stuff does matter because my children and I were put in a desperate situation due to my husband's abuse. Abuse does come into play when a judge makes his situation I know that much.

There wasn't really any advice and that's why I didn't appreciate it. I stated in my first post that I couldn't get internet at my parents' home. I also stated that I could pay everything but $500 of the mortgage. So, I am sorry but the advice wasn't useful to me because the advice that was given was already explained in my post.

I am not an angry person. I am a happy person but this situation makes me angry. And if anyone on here has been through what my children and I have been through they would be angry also. Its hard to hear your children cry themselves to sleep every night because they miss their beds and to know that your husband a man that they trusted and thought loved them is what is standing between them and their beds. That is very sad and it makes me as their mother very, very angry.

Silverplum

As you please.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I did ask legal stuff, the emotional stuff does matter because my children and I were put in a desperate situation due to my husband's abuse. Abuse does come into play when a judge makes his situation I know that much.

There wasn't really any advice and that's why I didn't appreciate it. I stated in my first post that I couldn't get internet at my parents' home. I also stated that I could pay everything but $500 of the mortgage. So, I am sorry but the advice wasn't useful to me because the advice that was given was already explained in my post.

I am not an angry person. I am a happy person but this situation makes me angry. And if anyone on here has been through what my children and I have been through they would be angry also. Its hard to hear your children cry themselves to sleep every night because they miss their beds and to know that your husband a man that they trusted and thought loved them is what is standing between them and their beds. That is very sad and it makes me as their mother very, very angry.

mistoffolees

If you want sympathy, seek out friends or a counselor. This site is for legal advice.

Legally, it doesn't matter if he's the nicest guy in the world or Attila the Hun. You have certain legal rights and privileges. The fact that he was mean to you and called you names just doesn't have any bearing on how the property settlement will play out.

In general:
1. Custody of the children will depend on what situation is best for the kids. In many (perhaps most) cases, the presumption is for joint custody unless one parent can prove that a different situation will be significantly better for the kids. So you're most likely looking at joint legal custody unless you can prove that he's an unfit father and causing harm to the kids.

Physical custody is more difficult because unless the parents live close together and are willing to work together, it's hard to make 50:50 physical custody work. So the children will be placed into primary physical custody where they are best off - as shown by the evidence presented to the court. So if you want this, you need pretty strong evidence (which does NOT consist of complaining about how mean he or his mother is) to support your case.

He does not have any rights to the two children from your previous marriage since they're not his. You can (and probably should) make the case that it's better for the child you have together to remain with his two older (half) siblings. It's not a slam dunk, but that's a strong argument.

2. Property will be split according to state guidelines. In most cases, this will be 50% of marital assets for each of you, although some states allow the judge a little discretion. It is not likely that you're going to be simply given the house unless he gets some equivalent asset to equalize that.

However, the fact that you have no equity in the home makes it more possible to negotiate a deal. Remember that it's just as much his house as it is yours and he has the same rights as you do--if you both insist that you want to keep the house, the judge may well just order it sold, so you're better off negotiating with him (through an attorney) if you really want the house. But you need to be able to pay not just the mortgage, but all the costs of keeping it.

If you can prove that he is hiding assets (you may need a forensic accountant), then you bring that evidence into court and those assets will also be divided (depending on the circumstances, he may also be penalized for hiding assets). But you need proof.

3. You didn't mention how long you were married, so no one can say whether you're going to get any support (even him paying part of the mortgage for some time period).

You need to see an attorney. Yes, it costs money, but in the end, it's likely to result in the best outcome in a problematic divorce.

And you also need to drop the attitude of entitlement and demanding that you get sympathy either here or from the courts. The legal issues are simple and if you stick to the facts you'll get your answer much faster and at less cost (and less emotional energy).

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He was so abusive that YOU went back to him. YOU chose to forgive and forget. You chose to put yourself in that position. Should I continue? The emotional DOES NOT matter to a judge. Trust me. What matters are facts. The fact is YOU put yourself in this position. YOU made horrible selfish short sighted decions. The fact is YOU placed your children's in harm's way because YOU loooovvvveeed him. Should I continue? Save the drama for your mama.

There wasn't really any advice and that's why I didn't appreciate it. I stated in my first post that I couldn't get internet at my parents' home. I also stated that I could pay everything but $500 of the mortgage.
And you can't afford the house. If you can't afford the ENTIRE mortgage and the bills that come with it, then you cannot afford the house. Got it? Good. Find yourself a new place to live.

So, I am sorry but the advice wasn't useful to me because the advice that was given was already explained in my post.
Oh well. the COURT does not care if their orders are USEFUL to you. They don't care if you don't LIKE them. The Court does not care about your WHINING.

I am not an angry person. I am a happy person but this situation makes me angry. And if anyone on here has been through what my children and I have been through they would be angry also.
Nope. Sorry. I am not angry about what you have been through. I am ANGRY at what YOU have put your children through due to your selfishness. Okay? I am angry that you care more about YOUR hubby then you did about the situation you put your children in. I am angry that you think you are a proper parent. So yes, I am angry. But NOT FOR YOU. I am angry AT YOU.

Its hard to hear your children cry themselves to sleep every night because they miss their beds and to know that your husband a man that they trusted and thought loved them is what is standing between them and their beds.
Turn over custody to dad and then the children can have their beds. But it is a shame that your children (or YOU) place so much importance on a piece of material good that is not worth half of what you paid for it. Nice values.

That is very sad and it makes me as their mother very, very angry.
Grow up and listen to what LD told you because she is correct and quite frankly she is one of the more sympathetic members on here. And yeah before I say it, I am not sympathetic to you at all. I could care less that you WANT the house. I could care less that you are whining on here. And quite frankly I can see right now that a court is going to have pretty much the same opinion I do for your stupid choices. Okay?

Have a good day. And instead of blaming dad for the children's problems, take a LONG HARD look at yourself.

ETA: Misty also told you facts. Now you can whine about that as well or start actually realizing the truth.

nextwife

We live in a rural area, there is no internet available other than dial up, the contract for my job requires that I have a broadband internet connection. I paid $1000 to have a satellite installed at my home so that I could work, I am also still paying the $100 a month for the service there. Satellite is not an option at my parents' house because there are too many trees and we are not allowed to cut the trees down because the house is located in a designated preservation area.

There is no improving my living situation at my parents' home, there is nothing that can be done to it. Its an older ranch home and is quite small and its my parents' home, I am not going to make changes to it that they do not want, its not MY home.

If you read my post I stated that I could afford to pay HALF the mortgage currently, all the utilities and the rest of the living expenses. In about 8 months after I begin to get my income back I could afford the rest of the mortgage, it may be sooner than 8 months. I have been supporting my children on my own since the beginning of my marriage. My older children's father does pay child support, and that and my income is what bought our groceries, our clothes, toys, and entertainment since the day they have been born. The only thing my husband ever paid was the mortgage and the electricity and he made 100% more money that I did. He wouldn't even put me on a cell phone plan with him.

I may sound angry because I am. You seem to agree that my husband's behavior towards me and the children was warranted and that he should be allowed to get away with making his wife and children homeless. If he physically assaulted me would your answer still be the same? I would have much rather have been physically abused then the awful emotional abuse my children and I endured.

And I don't appreciate the tone of your post making me out to be some mooch who doesn't want to work to take care of her family. Before my daughter was born I worked outside of the home and I worked very hard. My daughter is autistic and if you don't have an autistic child you can't possibly begin to imagine how much time they require. I am at doctors five days a week with her. Each appointment takes an hour to get to, lasts an hour, and then takes an hour to an hour and a half to get back from depending on traffic. That is a minimum of three hours a day for appointments. Did I mention my little boy is believed to be autistic as well? No one will watch my children because they are very difficult and around here it would cost me roughly $1800 a month just for childcare, that would be my entire paycheck...unless I worked from home at the job I held for three years. I worked overnight while my children were sleeping and early in the morning. I am able to work more than full time at that job if I would so choose and the hourly pay is more than I would be able to get at any outside of the home job.

WI Fi, over the air broadband (AT&T Laptop connect Card, etc)?

nextwife

Half the mortgage isn't good enough. If husband is not living there, he'll need to pay to live elsewhere and therefore cannot both NOT live there AND pay you the other half of the mortgage!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
3. You didn't mention how long you were married, so no one can say whether you're going to get any support (even him paying part of the mortgage for some time period).
She didn't mention it, but we can figure a pretty close estimate.

"Her" youngest (from a previous marriage) is 6. The boy they have together is 3. So, we can ASSume a maximum of 6 years...probably much shorter.

HomeGuru

Half the mortgage isn't good enough. If husband is not living there, he'll need to pay to live elsewhere and therefore cannot both NOT live there AND pay you the other half of the mortgage!
**A: why not? Isn't there a divorce special like 2 fer the price of one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">