• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appeal a Divorce Decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dpcampb

I live in Alaska, my ex lives in Montana.
My ex-wife took our two minor children from their home in Alaska and filed for a no-fault divorce in Montana. I was left with little or no money and could not afford a Montana lawyer and did not qualify for free legal assistance.
Since the divorce has been finalized, I have discovered many things about Montana Family Law that make me feel as though my rights were over-looked.
According to Montana Law,...
A person must reside in the state for 90 days before petitioning for a divorce.
A minor child must reside in the state for 180 consecutive days before the state can claim jurisdiction in child custody cases.

My ex-wife took the two minor children from our home on Christmas day, 2004 and I recieved the petition for divorce on December 29, 2004. The divorce was finalized on April 4, 2004.
In leiu of the fact that I am not a Montana resident and am not charged with knowing Montana Law, is it possible to appeal the divorce decree on the grounds that my rights were greatly infringed upon by simple geography?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">