• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arkansas divorce question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mightybaldone

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? arkansas
House is in my name. Remarried and husbands income has been paying the mortgage. Hes is only income except for my child support check. Now getting a divorce. We have been married 9 months.

Does hehave any legal rights to half of my house or any part of it.I want to keep the house.

Thanks for any info

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mightybaldone said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? arkansas
House is in my name. Remarried and husbands income has been paying the mortgage. Hes is only income except for my child support check. Now getting a divorce. We have been married 9 months.

Does hehave any legal rights to half of my house or any part of it.I want to keep the house.

Thanks for any info

My response:

Now, when you say "house", are we talking about a dwelling that has a foundation and land, or are we talking about something that has wheels?

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mightybaldone said:
Land and dwelling w/foundation

My response:

Arkansas is a separate property State. The marriage isn't even lengthy enough for an "equitable distribution" division of the property's appreciation over the 9 months; i.e., if he was entitled to an equitable distribution, it wouldn't be to make it economically feasible to fight over it. It would undoubtedly cost more in attorney's fees to claim the "equity" than it's worth.

Next time, if there IS a next time, have a Pre-Nuptial agreement drawn up to protect what's yours.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">