• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Army Divorce, TX- Where to start?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am trying to help my BIL.

My BIL is in the army, married for a little over a year, and is in TX.

His wife attacked him in August. She was arrested and charged with

>>ASSAULT CAUSES BODILY INJURY FAMILY VIOLENCE
Misdemeanor A

I believe she was arraigned for this during the 2nd week of August.

Additionally, when the police came to arrest her, she assaulted the cops and was tasered, and was charged for this as well.

>>

ASSAULT PUBLIC SERVANT
3rd Degree Felony

He decided to divorce her.

He pretty much doesnt know what to do. He is having to move out of his apartment right now (they were living seperately before the assault) because apparently she is getting his BAH and he can not afford to keep renting the apartment.

Should she be getting 100% of this??

He said he was told that he can not move onto the base while he is married, but she is getting 100% of the BAH and so he's basically broke and cant go to base and cant afford an apartment...

Is this correct? Is there nothing he can do to help himself or get the army to allow him to move to the base?

Does he have to file a legal seperation?

I believe he did have an atty but was not satisfied with the job the man was doing and fired him and is trying to figure out what to do, and wants to educate himself.

Can anyone give pointers on what he should know and what he should do and where he should go?? I wish I had more information or an idea of what direction to go so I could give more helpful facts...

I know that he would like to try to get alimony from her. She was working (I assume she still is?) and was making more money than him. She always has made more money than him. He is now losing his BAH, and possibly other benefits, due to her attack, so he is wondering if he has any recourse.

Additionally, he is being deployed in November. Is there any chance of straightening this out and having the divorce finalized before then?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am trying to help my BIL.

My BIL is in the army, married for a little over a year, and is in TX.

His wife attacked him in August. She was arrested and charged with

>>ASSAULT CAUSES BODILY INJURY FAMILY VIOLENCE
Misdemeanor A

I believe she was arraigned for this during the 2nd week of August.

Additionally, when the police came to arrest her, she assaulted the cops and was tasered, and was charged for this as well.

>>

ASSAULT PUBLIC SERVANT
3rd Degree Felony

He decided to divorce her.

He pretty much doesnt know what to do. He is having to move out of his apartment right now (they were living seperately before the assault) because apparently she is getting his BAH and he can not afford to keep renting the apartment.

Should she be getting 100% of this??

He said he was told that he can not move onto the base while he is married, but she is getting 100% of the BAH and so he's basically broke and cant go to base and cant afford an apartment...

Is this correct? Is there nothing he can do to help himself or get the army to allow him to move to the base?

Does he have to file a legal seperation?

I believe he did have an atty but was not satisfied with the job the man was doing and fired him and is trying to figure out what to do, and wants to educate himself.

Can anyone give pointers on what he should know and what he should do and where he should go?? I wish I had more information or an idea of what direction to go so I could give more helpful facts...

I know that he would like to try to get alimony from her. She was working (I assume she still is?) and was making more money than him. She always has made more money than him. He is now losing his BAH, and possibly other benefits, due to her attack, so he is wondering if he has any recourse.

Additionally, he is being deployed in November. Is there any chance of straightening this out and having the divorce finalized before then?
He should go talk to JAG before he does anything else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">