• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

asking honest help not sarcasm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

truegrit

What is the name of your state? Maryland

When my ex and I split, we had two cars.....one nice one with payments and a POS we owned full out. He took the one with payments. I asked him to switch with me when he wasn't making payments and I was getting called because I co-signed. He refused. I say POS but it worked fine for kids and me. Just wasn't prettiest thing.

He then decided to "find himself" and disappeared... with the car. He walked off his job and just went wandering. He wasn't making payments. I was paying for the insurance for the car because my name was joint on it, and I had to pay taxes and such but when the car company called about payments this time I said no. I wasn't even getting child support so I wasn't about to pay for a car I had no idea where it was.

Then I get a call from my insurance company. Apparently the car got into a face to face with a semi. I try to get answers from the insurance company, but since I was not the one in the accident for some reason.....although I am the one paying the policy I can't be told anything. I have never seen the car since so I have no idea what happened.

Well the car company is still after the car. So I am so sick of it I then attempt to help them to repo the car. I have no idea where the dad is because I am getting no CS so they we are both grabbing anything we can to find him and the car.

Finally after a year of nonpayment they find him and repo the car.

Even though it was insured he never got it fixed. It goes up for auction and the result is 9,000 + owed after auction.

In all this I am trying to get a divorce, just as finding him for car was difficult, finding him to serve papers of divorce is just as impossible. He knows how to shirk process servers. After several hundreds of dollars invested in process servers I give up and get a divorce based upon absence. (the one where you put an add in paper). However, since he couldn't be found according to law financial aspects couldn't be addressed.

The car was taken in 2001 after a year of nonpayment. As you can guess I am trying to get my life in order after this man. I applied for and got my first credit card recently. Well now that set off an alarm with the car company. They are now after me.

Is there anything I can do? I offered to take this car when we split. He wouldn't let me. When he disappeared I couldn't keep making its payments because he wasn't paying child support (we have 3 kids) so I was struggling as it was without paying for a car for him to drive around in who knows where. It doesn't seem right that now I can be garnished for this and him not touched just because I can be found and he is his usual "missing" person.

Any advice would be appreciated. OH I do know where he is now. If that helps at all.

Thanks in advance

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">