• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

asset disclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

petunia28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My soon to be ex started a business while we were married. He made certain I do not have access to anything. While I signed on the signature card at the bank, he went back to the bank and took me off. Am I entitled to the business info--especially financial information. I have reason to believe he has not reported earnings to the IRS accurately either--on purpose. Can I show up at the business and inspect the records? How do I get the information I need?

mistoffolees

My soon to be ex started a business while we were married. He made certain I do not have access to anything. While I signed on the signature card at the bank, he went back to the bank and took me off. Am I entitled to the business info--especially financial information. I have reason to believe he has not reported earnings to the IRS accurately either--on purpose. Can I show up at the business and inspect the records? How do I get the information I need?
You should get access to this information via discovery. If you have reason to believe that he has inaccurately reported information, make sure you give it to your attorney (that is, real evidence, not just suspicions). I would NOT go to the business because he could claim that you were trying to disrupt his business which would go against you in the divorce hearing.

Meanwhile, do NOT sign a joint return this year if you suspect that the information is false.

HomeGuru

**A: your divorce attorney should request an examination of assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">