• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assets not declared in divorce settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1momof2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR
If my ex husband failed to declare assets during the divorce trial, such as retirement he had paid into until a year prior to the divorce, jewelry, etc., is there any way to have the settlement readjusted after the fact? The divorce process took almost two years with delays from the court, and by the time the judge issued his opinion, my ex had defaulted on our 2nd mortgage seven times. Though I paid it once I knew this was the case, it significantly damaged my credit. I was rushed to get the order prepared to refi my home and pay off my ex, so I did not have time to address this then.

He is a batterer and continues to create excuses to drag me into court. I'm in Chapter 13 but make too much to qualify for legal aid and can't afford an attorney.

I appreciate any advice you can offer!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR
If my ex husband failed to declare assets during the divorce trial, such as retirement he had paid into until a year prior to the divorce, jewelry, etc., is there any way to have the settlement readjusted after the fact? The divorce process took almost two years with delays from the court, and by the time the judge issued his opinion, my ex had defaulted on our 2nd mortgage seven times. Though I paid it once I knew this was the case, it significantly damaged my credit. I was rushed to get the order prepared to refi my home and pay off my ex, so I did not have time to address this then.

He is a batterer and continues to create excuses to drag me into court. I'm in Chapter 13 but make too much to qualify for legal aid and can't afford an attorney.

I appreciate any advice you can offer!
If someone hides marital assets that is a valid reason to re-open a property settlement. However, if you knew the assets existed, and chose not to go after them, for whatever reason, then that is not a valid reason to re-open a property settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">