• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assigning rights in divorce decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FLMan46

What is the name of your state? FL

My parents were divorced in NY in the 1970's. My father assigned to me his union pension, annuities, etc. I signed a General Release in 1986 so these funds would go directly to my stepmother upon his death (which was Jan 07).

Now the electrical union is questioning the assignment to my stepmother. Can I not assign the funds to her? Or do I need to accept these funds, pay the taxes, etc. then give her the money? Help please? Thanks very much!!!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? FL

My parents were divorced in NY in the 1970's. My father assigned to me his union pension, annuities, etc. I signed a General Release in 1986 so these funds would go directly to my stepmother upon his death (which was Jan 07).

Now the electrical union is questioning the assignment to my stepmother. Can I not assign the funds to her? Or do I need to accept these funds, pay the taxes, etc. then give her the money? Help please? Thanks very much!!!
I am assuming that you mean that your father made you the beneficiary of the funds and then you signed a release so that he could change the beneficiary to your stepmother.

If somehow that didn't happen, (dad didn't get it changed) then I suggest that you consult with a probate attorney to see what the best step would be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">