• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto debt in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Janine Brink

What is the name of your state? California
My husband and I purchased a SUV before we were divorced and at the time he insisted his name be on the title only because i did not work and he said we would get a better interest rate. I was the main driver of the vehicle. After our separation, I continued to drive the vehicle and we split the payments although neither of us can really afford them now. I never worked during our marriage (I was and am a stay-at-home mom of two) and am trying to start up my old career. My ex asked me (rudely) to clean my things out of the vehicle so he could clean it and sell it. He was unable to sell it. At our last hearing before the judge, I was awarded the use and control of the vehicle even though I did not want it. What is my responsibility to the auto? My name is not on title and I am unable to get my name added, buy insurance for it, etc. I would like to keep it and just buy it...each pay half the debt of $29,000. He does not feel he needs to pay at all for it since I benefit from it's use. I need to add that I did go out and purchase a vehicle because he wanted to sell the SUV. Now I sit here with 2 cars; one I own and one I do not but was "awarded" it's use. My lawyer is not helping me understand who is supposed to make the payments and if we buy the truck, do we split the liability. I am in need of some help ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">