• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Loans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dorn09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

My ex - wife and I had 2 cars in both of our names. In the divorce she took one and I took the other. She is three months behind in payments and she just told me she will not make another payment. Is there anything I can do before she destroys my credit? She says she can't refinance because of her debt to income ratio. I do have it in writing in the divorce decree that she would take care of the car payment.

Thank you.

mistoffolees

Any possibility that the creditor will only get a judgment against just her since I have it in writing that she would pay it?

Wishful thinking...
No, the creditor will get a judgement against everyone whose name is on the loan.

You can then sue her to recover your share - but not your credit rating.

For right now, you have a couple of choices:

1. Go to court to have her forced to pay the loan. There's no guarantee that she'll comply.

2. Pay the loan yourself and then go to court to recover the money from her.

Of course, that's all contingent on your divorce decree explicitly stating who gets which car and who is responsible for the loan going with that car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">