• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automobile/Ex-fiance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hinese

State: Texas

I'm neither married nor divorced, but this issue doesn't really fit under any other topic. Here we go....

My fiance (now ex-fiance) leased a car together in Feburary 2002. Her credit was bad, so I was listed as the primary leasor and she was the secondary. We split up in May 2002. I agreed to let her "have" the car and she would make the monthly payments. I kept her on my insurance so that she could pay $110/month instead of $300/month if she had her own plan (it's so expensive because she's 20 years old).

Two weeks ago, she came to me and said that she made the last payment, but somehow it got credited to someone else's account, and the finance company insisted that the payment was at that time 26 days late. I told her to get it straightened out ASAP because I don't want my credit ruined. Well, that night, I went ahead and made the $389 payment for her, as I'm not going to have 12 years of good credit history ruined while she tries to sort that out. I'm going on a slight tangent here, but to let you know the kind of person she it....I emailed her and told her I made the payment. I went on to ask her to please call the finance company and see what we would need to do to terminate the lease early. She responded by calling me every name in the book. She's not the kind of person who would thank you for making her car payment for her.

Anyway, she is now 10 days late with the NEXT payment. I guess I'm going to have to make that one too...in order to salvage my good credit. And she's three weeks late giving me the insurance money. I'm keeping her on my insurance because the car is technically in my name. If she got in a wreck, the other person could sue ME. She has made it clear to me that she doesn't care about my credit. When I told her I made the payment because I didn't want my credit ruined, she called me a "drama queen" for mentioning it. Easy to say for someone who's had bad credit since she was 18 and whose mother can't get a car because of her credit.

I'm at the point where I don't trust her to make the car payment. As I mentioned, it is once again 10 days late, and I don't know that she'll ever make it. Oh...one more bit of information...she married an Arab guy a few months ago. All she ever talks about is how much money he has.

Here's my plan...call the finance company on Friday and see if she's paid yet. If not, I will go to her house on Friday night and take back the car, leaving it at a friend's house where she won't know how to get it back (I kept a set of keys). I will then drive the car and make the payments, terminate the lease early, or re-lease it on a website such as leasetrader.com.

My question is...is taking the car legal? I assume it is since I am listed as the lease holder both with the finance company and on my credit report. It merely appears on her credit report as being a co-leasor. I have to take this action, as she is completely unreasonable and doesn't care what happens to me or my credit. I've bent over backwards for her, letting her have the car for a year, keeping her on my insurance, and even making the payment that she missed. She appreciates none of it, and even takes exception if I do so little as ask her when she's going to make the payment.

If anyone has read my drama all the way down to this point...HELP!!!

Thank you.

hinese

I should also mention that I don't have the means with which to be making car payments for somebody else. Having an additional car payment, should I confiscate the car, will have a very negative impact on my finances. I WILL make the payments...I just won't be able to supersize my meals for a while.

VeronicaGia

You should probably contact the finance company and ask for their guidance, though they will probably say that you are jointly and separately liable for the car note. You need to find out if you can either get your name off the note and title or get her name off it.

Both of you have the right to the car since it is jointly owned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">