• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Autos

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Travis McGee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Separated from wife. I have let my wife use my car, in my name, bought and paid for prior to our marriage, for her needs and to take our son out and about. Its kept where she is presently residing.
There was no title change, or reregistration or anything.
Does my actions in any way forfeit my right to my car in a divorce? Does it create any sort of presumption of transfer of ownership? Does my willingness to do this earn me any points in a court action, or is just considered irrelevent?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Separated from wife. I have let my wife use my car, in my name, bought and paid for prior to our marriage, for her needs and to take our son out and about. Its kept where she is presently residing.
Does my actions in any way forfeit my right to my car in a divorce? Does it create any sort of presumption of transfer of ownership? Does my willingness to do this earn me any points in a court action, or is just considered irrelevent?
MUST you start a new thread for every thought? Can't you combine them so that all the information is in one spot? Earn points? Dude it is not a free throw.

LdiJ

In a divorce, if there are two vehicles in the family, you are both going to be expected to get one of them.

Travis McGee

MUST you start a new thread for every thought? Can't you combine them so that all the information is in one spot? Earn points? Dude it is not a free throw.
Well, heck. The administrators seem to want Family Law questions to be divided.

Call it "points," call it what you wish. I do not understand the system. Its a difficult situation all around.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">