• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Bookkeeping on Ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Miles6699

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
After my divorce in '03 my ex kept paying on my whole life insurance policy without either of us knowing for 3 years(they are mature enough to sustain themselves). Now I am being sued for his negligible bookkeeping. Can they collect on such a claim. Also when a divorce is mediated is there any recourse down the road? We settled personally but I did not persue his business and now I regret it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

After my divorce in '03 my ex kept paying on my whole life insurance policy without either of us knowing for 3 years(they are mature enough to sustain themselves). Now I am being sued for his negligible bookkeeping. Can they collect on such a claim. Also when a divorce is mediated is there any recourse down the road? We settled personally but I did not persue his business and now I regret it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Who is suing you for his "negligible bookkeeping"?

No, its too late to re-open your property settlement.

mistoffolees

I doubt if he's going to be able to collect the insurance payments he made. He can certainly sue you for it, but that doesn't mean he'll win. First, you presumably didn't do anything to cause his bookkeeper to make the mistake so you aren't liable, anyway. Second, he may well be past the statute of limitations, anyway. I would personally just ignore him. If he sues you, then you'll have time to see an attorney (note: if it happens, ask the attorney to consider countersuing for filing a frivolous suit).

As for the property settlement, you say you settled personally. Did the court approve the settlement? If the court hasn't approved it, then it's not really settled and you need to get that done. If the court approved it, there are only limited reasons for re-opening a divorce decree (such as if one party is found to have committed major fraud and hidden a lot of assets). If that isn't the case, then it's closed for good.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">