• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bali Hai

My thoughts are that alimony would be crazy to ask for (him asking me) because he can do everything/anything around the house. All of the things he's done in our home are so detailed and custom. He can live off of that (make even more money than he does now).. so if he did that on the weekends, he would be very well off.
I see, he gets to work more and you get to work the same to maintain the same marital lifestyle. Somehow that just doesn't work in every court.

nalnk

I see, he gets to work more and you get to work the same to maintain the same marital lifestyle. Somehow that just doesn't work in every court.
Yes, i would work the same as I do now.. working for the Chairman along with a few other very high ranking senior executives. He on the other hand, only travels 7 miles to work every day.
Leaves after I do, comes home before I do. I am out 45 minutes before he leaves, get home 1.5 hours after he does... i cook, clean, straighten out when i get home.... ....

Just because I don't work on bathrooms, add porches, etc. doesn't mean that my life is easy. And btw.. he wouldn't have to do this work on the side to maintain his marital lifestye..... He enjoys doing it and always says he would rather do that one day than what he does now...... he loves it!

Bali Hai

Yes, i would work the same as I do now.. working for the Chairman along with a few other very high ranking senior executives. He on the other hand, only travels 7 miles to work every day.
Leaves after I do, comes home before I do. I am out 45 minutes before he leaves, get home 1.5 hours after he does... i cook, clean, straighten out when i get home.... ....

Just because I don't work on bathrooms, add porches, etc. doesn't mean that my life is easy. And btw.. he wouldn't have to do this work on the side to maintain his marital lifestye..... He enjoys doing it and always says he would rather do that one day than what he does now...... he loves it!
My guess is, he would love taking your money even more.

tuffbrk

The courts won't care about who cleans the house, travel time or if he enjoys doing side work.

The difference is $20k so take 30% of that figure and you can approximate your alimony payment if you have been married 10 years or longer. Try to negotiate giving up another asset or a percentage in the marital home (if appl) if he is open to it rather than alimony. With alimony, it is rather hard to actually feel as if you're divorced. My ex-husband has more control over me divorced than he ever did when we were married as a result of alimony. Any change in your life that may impact your ability to pay the alimony (whether voluntary or involuntary) forces you to take another trip back to court to obtain their approval. Seriously - do your best to negotiate it off of the table. It'll save you thousands later on.

Expect to split everything else 50/50 unless you actually intend to fight it out in court in front of a judge. Only then would the percentage for equitable distribution be adjusted to another percentage. It is quite rare to obtain a recommendation for anything other 50/50 when dealing with mediators and the Early Settlement Panel. Just last week a collaborative law bill (S-1224) was passed adding another potential guest (and bill!) to the NJ divorce party.

Good luck.

LdiJ

The courts won't care about who cleans the house, travel time or if he enjoys doing side work.

The difference is $20k so take 30% of that figure and you can approximate your alimony payment if you have been married 10 years or longer. Try to negotiate giving up another asset or a percentage in the marital home (if appl) if he is open to it rather than alimony. With alimony, it is rather hard to actually feel as if you're divorced. My ex-husband has more control over me divorced than he ever did when we were married as a result of alimony. Any change in your life that may impact your ability to pay the alimony (whether voluntary or involuntary) forces you to take another trip back to court to obtain their approval. Seriously - do your best to negotiate it off of the table. It'll save you thousands later on.

Expect to split everything else 50/50 unless you actually intend to fight it out in court in front of a judge. Only then would the percentage for equitable distribution be adjusted to another percentage. It is quite rare to obtain a recommendation for anything other 50/50 when dealing with mediators and the Early Settlement Panel. Just last week a collaborative law bill (S-1224) was passed adding another potential guest (and bill!) to the NJ divorce party.

Good luck.
I really doubt that she is going to end up paying alimony in this case. He is a healthy, employed individual making a decent wage, with the opportunity to earn more than she does if he wishes to do so.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I really doubt that she is going to end up paying alimony in this case. He is a healthy, employed individual making a decent wage, with the opportunity to earn more than she does if he wishes to do so.
Some states and courts just equalize income. So it is a possibility. And Tuffbrk is in NJ. Where OP is located. She knows more about their courts than you or I do.

LdiJ

Some states and courts just equalize income. So it is a possibility. And Tuffbrk is in NJ. Where OP is located. She knows more about their courts than you or I do.
I agree its not impossible, I just don't think its likely.

Bali Hai

Yeah, all he has to do is double his work load. Why didn't that work for me when I suggested it to the court?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">