• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankruptcy And Money Owed In Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrSteve13

The divorce was in California.

I just had to file bankruptcy and my ex wife is sueing me for breech of the divorce decree where I was supposed to pay off a credit card. I have no job, no money and no income. What do I do?

Steve

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The divorce was in California.

I just had to file bankruptcy and my ex wife is sueing me for breech of the divorce decree where I was supposed to pay off a credit card. I have no job, no money and no income. What do I do?

Steve
Why dont' you currently have a job? How are you supporting yourself? In whose name was the credit card? IF you were ordered to pay the credit card, you could be found in contempt if she is taking a hit for you declaring bankruptcy.

MrSteve13

Bankruptcy And Divorce

I don't know why I don't have a job... no one's hiring?, I'm living with my new wife, the card is in my ex's name. What happens in this case with a "Contempt Of Court" ruling? I tried to get a handle on all the debt from the divorce and insisted on taking it all so my ex could get a clean start. Unfortunately the debt and a resulting lawsuit judgement put me close to $400k in debt with no assets or income... I did the best I could. What can I expext to happen now? And what would you advise me to do?

LdiJ

I don't know why I don't have a job... no one's hiring?, I'm living with my new wife, the card is in my ex's name. What happens in this case with a "Contempt Of Court" ruling? I tried to get a handle on all the debt from the divorce and insisted on taking it all so my ex could get a clean start. Unfortunately the debt and a resulting lawsuit judgement put me close to $400k in debt with no assets or income... I did the best I could. What can I expext to happen now? And what would you advise me to do?
I would advise you to be prepared to pay that debt anyway...or to have the court take it out of you in fines.

How much debt was there on that card?

LdiJ

So how do you think I can pay when there is NO money? the amount is $8800.
Is your new wife working? Can she help you out with getting a loan from somewhere to pay that credit card off?

You could honestly end up owing the court fines, plus owing the debt.

MrSteve13

Bankruptcy And Divorce

Unfortunately I owe my new wife as well. She is tapped out and does not work. I'm in a real pickle here. I can not collect unemployment, have zero assets (hense the bankruptcy), can't get my contractor's license in this state because of the bankruptcy and haven't found work yet. I have an ad on Craig's List for handyman repairs but not much happening there. Everyone and his brother is doing repairs these days even contractors that can't get projects. It's rough out here! I don't want to not pay this bill, it's just that I am literally broke and trying to get something going financially but it's not happening.

mistoffolees

Unfortunately I owe my new wife as well. She is tapped out and does not work. I'm in a real pickle here. I can not collect unemployment, have zero assets (hense the bankruptcy), can't get my contractor's license in this state because of the bankruptcy and haven't found work yet. I have an ad on Craig's List for handyman repairs but not much happening there. Everyone and his brother is doing repairs these days even contractors that can't get projects. It's rough out here! I don't want to not pay this bill, it's just that I am literally broke and trying to get something going financially but it's not happening.
As unfortunate as that is, it's a valid debt and you owe it. If you can't find a way to pay it (or at least bring it current and then make regular payments) you WILL be found in contempt. That means you'll owe the debt, plus fines, plus possibly jail time.

I know it's hard out there, but if neither you or your wife is working, at least one of you needs to get a job. McDonald's is always hiring. It's not much, but it will show that you're making an effort.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">