• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beginning Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jko1120

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

This is real complicated probably like any separation.

My wife an I have decided to separate. We have 4 children. I have been working and living in Minnesota and she has been living in Texas with the kids for the past 6 months. She moved up and believes that it is best we separate which I can understand and agree with. We both have our issues and our faults and feel that we are dragging each other down. Currently I am the only one working and have been the prime provider for 18 years. We do not really have any assets so really financial side all there is is a pay check. I am willing to do what is right financially for her and especially the kids. The kids probably will primarily be with her but I am willing to take them.

We both agree that she needs to get a job and work full time, and I am willing to keep her on my insurance until she gets established.

So I guess my questions are:

If she moves back to Texas where would we file?
What other adivce or things do we need to consider moving forward?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

moburkes

You would file where you live now. You cannot keep her on your health insurance after you divorce. Your insurance company will not allow it. You need to understand that, with 4 kids an a non-working spouse, you will need to find an efficiency to live in.

LdiJ

You would file where you live now. You cannot keep her on your health insurance after you divorce. Your insurance company will not allow it. You need to understand that, with 4 kids an a non-working spouse, you will need to find an efficiency to live in.
Actually, she and the children are still legal residents of TX. So she could absolutely file there, and any matters regarding the children would have to be settled there.

moburkes

Actually, she and the children are still legal residents of TX. So she could absolutely file there, and any matters regarding the children would have to be settled there.
I agree. But, he doesn't live there so he can't file there.

jko1120

I am not contending where to file, only what is best for the both of us.

The one piece that I did leave out is that while we did reside in TX she did not change her DL to Texas from MN where we previously lived.

LdiJ

I am not contending where to file, only what is best for the both of us.

The one piece that I did leave out is that while we did reside in TX she did not change her DL to Texas from MN where we previously lived.
That's irrelevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">