• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being "Forced" From Marital Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jazz99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Can one spouse be "forced" to leave the marital home when there are no issues of abuse or anything related? If both spouses want to stay while divorce is pending, do courts in Wisconsin "order" one person to leave and if so, how is this determined? There are children in this case, but no contention of placement. It would be 50/50 once all is settled. Or, do the courts simply not order either spouse to leave and they have to either co-exist in family home or one party has to choose to move out?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Can one spouse be "forced" to leave the marital home when there are no issues of abuse or anything related? If both spouses want to stay while divorce is pending, do courts in Wisconsin "order" one person to leave and if so, how is this determined? There are children in this case, but no contention of placement. It would be 50/50 once all is settled. Or, do the courts simply not order either spouse to leave and they have to either co-exist in family home or one party has to choose to move out?

The court generally won't do anything without one party asking for something to be done.

Commonly one party will ask for exclusive use of the home. If neither party requests this, then nothing happens until someone moves, or someone asks the court to intervene.

jazz99

Thanks for your input. I guess my follow up question would be, if one person asks, under what basis might the court grant it?

Mortgage is in both our names.

Last edited:

single317dad

Sometimes it's wise to establish separate living quarters within the premises when neither party wants to move out but also do not want to live with one another.

Proserpina

Unsure how it is "deeded" but would have to assume it is both our names.

Find out, quickly. If you're the only one on the deed, the most the court can do is address the equity in terms of assets.

(Unless it was purchased during the marriage)

jazz99

She would not have the ability to refinance, not at this time anyway. Once all is said and done, I am not even sure I will. I guess I don't understand how simply asking for exclusive use would then be considered? How can either spouse be forced to leave in Wisconsin?

Proserpina

She would not have the ability to refinance, not at this time anyway. Once all is said and done, I am not even sure I will. I guess I don't understand how simply asking for exclusive use would then be considered? How can either spouse be forced to leave in Wisconsin?
Because the law allows the court to do so.

If you refi, make darned sure you remain on the deed. The last thing you want is to be stuck with paying for a property that's not yours legally. What's the status of the mortgage?

jazz99

Because the law allows the court to do so.

If you refi, make darned sure you remain on the deed. The last thing you want is to be stuck with paying for a property that's not yours legally. What's the status of the mortgage?

What basis and or factors will the court use in determining if one party gets exclusive use or not?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If the two of you can't get along, the court may feel it best for the children if you be physically separated. Temp custody can also be ordered.

CJane

Are you asking for specific things you can cite in court that would convince the court to force your wife to leave the marital home?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">