• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being forced to stop breastfeeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kahlua4870

What is the name of your state? Florida.
Recently a judge ordered that I give my soon to be ex-husband more visitation with our daughter, whom I breastfeed regularly throughout the day. The judge also ordered that we increase the time an hour every 4 weeks. Eventually he will be getting her for 6 hours at a time which means she will be unable to breastfeed. What are my rights as far as breastfeeding is concerned? My daughter is going to be forced to wean when she and are are both not ready for her to wean?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Florida.
Recently a judge ordered that I give my soon to be ex-husband more visitation with our daughter, whom I breastfeed regularly throughout the day. The judge also ordered that we increase the time an hour every 4 weeks. Eventually he will be getting her for 6 hours at a time which means she will be unable to breastfeed. What are my rights as far as breastfeeding is concerned? My daughter is going to be forced to wean when she and are are both not ready for her to wean?
You have no "breastfeeding rights." You can pump milk for the child to use while with her father.

And why didn't you ask the judge this question at the time of his/her ruling?

moburkes

You have the right to pump milk, just the same as you would do if you had to work during the day.

Kahlua has been drinking too much. Did you read her other thread?

moburkes

Right Kahlua, wrong cream. This mom needs therapy. I'm guessing that, if dad keeps the other kids, it will lessen her child support for baby.

nextwife

Good grief. What planet have you been on that you've never heard of a breast pump?

I had a close friend that had her own retail business for over a decade, she certainly wasn't going to simply walk a away from years of hard work building it. She pumped for when dad was watching kiddo. It's not that complicated!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Just posted there/

GEE! Mom thinks dad shouldn't get decent blocks of time with his own child just because mom can lactate and he can't?
I have to change my idea from the uterus effect to the estrogen effect. DANG. Hey OP cows provide milk through four udders -- you only have two. Based on your logic, the cow should definitely get more visitation with the child than you do.

fairisfair

and the baby is a year old. Not that there is anything wrong with still breasfeeding, if that is what you want to do. But it is hardly a newborn.

Just Blue

and the baby is a year old.
I was at the park with my daughter .....this was about 10-12 years ago...We saw a woman breast feeding her child...the "baby" was about 4 years old...Now unless this child had some strange disorder that specifically required mama's milk,:)rolleyes:) that mother was abusing that child.

OP reminds me of that mother...At a year old the child should be drinking from a sippy cup...no bottle or breast...

LdiJ

I have to change my idea from the uterus effect to the estrogen effect. DANG. Hey OP cows provide milk through four udders -- you only have two. Based on your logic, the cow should definitely get more visitation with the child than you do.
Look, I absolutely agree but lets remember that some women honestly can't pump....or if they can, they can't pump enough to cover both daycare and visitation.

My aunt could have fed two kids and pumped enough for another two.....I couldn't pump more than an ounce a day no matter how hard I tried. (and I seriously WANTED to be able to pump)

So, while I think its fair to tell a woman that she is obligated to make a sincere attempt at pumping, its a little unfair to assume that its an automatic solution.

However, one bit of advice that I will give women who can pump...pump it and freeze it. You will build up a supply without having to worry about it spoiling. Pump as often as you can when the child is not with you. A friend of mine pumped during her breaks at work (and put it in the freezer in the breakroom..LOL) That really helped her build up a supply.

Just Blue

Look, I absolutely agree but lets remember that some women honestly can't pump....or if they can, they can't pump enough to cover both daycare and visitation.

My aunt could have fed two kids and pumped enough for another two.....I couldn't pump more than an ounce a day no matter how hard I tried. (and I seriously WANTED to be able to pump)

So, while I think its fair to tell a woman that she is obligated to make a sincere attempt at pumping, its a little unfair to assume that its an automatic solution.

However, one bit of advice that I will give women who can pump...pump it and freeze it. You will build up a supply without having to worry about it spoiling. Pump as often as you can when the child is not with you. A friend of mine pumped during her breaks at work (and put it in the freezer in the breakroom..LOL) That really helped her build up a supply.

This chld is a YEAR old!!

K

kahlua4870

You have no "breastfeeding rights." You can pump milk for the child to use while with her father.

And why didn't you ask the judge this question at the time of his/her ruling?
#1 I am unable to pump due to the fact that I have never pumped before and the dr. concluded that my body would not produce enough milk to do so. My daughter has never taken a bottle, either.
#2 Wasnt given the opportunity to speak

nextwife

Yes you can - but you CAN'T use your breast milk as a reason to deny dad his own blocks of time with HIS child. Judges are tired of women walking into courtrooms intend on using breastfeeding as an excuse to keep the fathers from getting their own sufficient times of possession, and don't allow them to use their breast milk as a REASON to limit dad's time.

Capech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">