• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wiresident

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

This is regarding my Dad and his ex-girlfriend, so I apologize if I placed this thread in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where it would fit?
I found out she has a 4 pages of court cases against her and now there are a few more. She has had 4 different last names and lied about her age, so we couldn't find anything on her for awhile, but we figured it out.

She kicked my Dad out about 4 weeks ago, no big deal, I was actually happy, I had not talked to him for about 4 months because of her.The police told my Mom she needs to get my sister (12 years of age) out of there because of the things against this lady.

Dad spent the night with me (about 30 miles from where he lived with her) the night he got kicked out, she text messaged him saying his stuff was outside. I told him to call the police, sure enough some of his things were outside, his $1200 mattress in a bush torn in two spots, a plant stand from my grandpa that was now broken, my Trek bike in the yard he was using, his lazyboy...etc. The police never showed up, they drove by twice and I tried to wave them down, but they just kept going. I took some pictures, but it was dark and only had my phone camera (there is no way to put a price on these things and no way to prove they are ours (the police say))....

A few days later my sister called me, told me to check .craigslist.org, I did, and found about 15 of his things on there for sale! We called the police, and explained craigslist...they said there was nothing they could do because its a civil matter. I called the county, they said they had no jurisdiction on the city!? I called my friend in the state patrol, he said, "the city HAS to do something, that's theft and they could be held responsible if they didn't do anything about it...."

We didn't contact the ex directly because we didn't want to give her time to think of any more excuses, she has done this before, her last boyfriend, she was supposed to marry, the day of their wedding she broke up with him and kept his stuff, he took her to court to get it back and oddly it was his laptop and camera that she used to post our things on craigslist! So obviously the court thing didn't work so well.

Dad went to get his things the next day he got kicked out, she wouldn't answer the door (he was there with the police), He went the next day (with the police, she wouldn't answer the door)....Dad called her, she said "why would you even bother me at 7pm about this," he said "how about the morning," she said "well see, I may be gone." The police went with Dad on Wednesday (the last day that he was on the lease), she told him she hurt her foot and couldn't do it that day, she (with the police there and witnessed) said he could come back Saturday. Saturday, with the police, on the front step, she messaged him saying she has the flu and couldn't do it that day.

I talked to my friend and had him e-mail her interested in some clocks that were on there (from the 1800's for $300!). It was about 8:30pm, we got a call back at 9, she gave him her name address and phone number, we told her we could meet at 10:00pm at her house. (This was Saturday, the day she was sick with the flu). We went to get his truck, on the way we called the police and asked if they would be interested in meeting to witness a sale of stolen property. The officer called back about 15 minutes before we were supposed to meet and said there's nothing he could do.

Sunday, the police confronted her and asked what was going on and if she was trying to sell his things, of course she denied it all. My friend got an email from her with pictures of the clocks asking if he was still interested (2 hours after the police talked to her). I called the police back because the officer that dad was dealing with said he could have given her a ticket for the sale of stolen property, so I told him we could get it again, he said he couldn't do anything more than he has.

Meanwhile she has been threatening my dad saying that he raped her daughter and that he owes her money and shes going to call his P.O. (from a past employment issue from 10 years ago)? So, Dad backed off scared, and I was really mad at him at first, but I understand now and feel bad... (He doesn't know that I know about this). State trooper said we could get her with blackmail but how do you prove this? Also, she owes my dad $2000 (I have a feeling it was cash and no proof again) and the landlord $4400 (which has a case pending now I guess).

We had the landlord call her and ask what was going on with Dads things, she said she has been trying to contact him to come get his things (we have a witness at least).

During all this time, I found out that his car was at a friend of her daughters getting repaired, but he couldn't get a hold of him, I had him call the shop, the next morning he got a call from them, we got the kids number, he wouldn't answer of course. Mom called, left a message, he called back, we asked him about the car he said he had enough problems, and didn't want to deal with us anymore, She said OK, the county police will be contacting you soon. We called the city, the car was across the bridge it was in a different county they wouldn't do anything, we contacted that county and filled a report.

A couple days later the city police (detective) contacted us, said the county ran the VIN and found it was sold in another county, the title was forged, and she still has his title for his other car as well as all my, my sisters, and my dads papers (Id's, SSN, ...). We ended up getting the car back yesterday. We asked the police if they were going to arrest her, he said "if she confesses" ....!!! Who would confess to that!!? He said he would have to check the laws, its a gray area....The car came back without a title, and without plates, so we can't register it, the police said that has never happened before, and they would have to check into it, but he (the detective) was going home at 4 and would be back Monday (this was Friday about 2pm) to look into it. The other officer we dealt with is off until Tuesday....

Found out the guy "working" on the car has allot of cases against him as well...work force is looking for him, he has a $15,000 theft charge and the pages go on....

I have gotten all but one item deleted off craigslist by clicking the 'prohibited' link from this computer, my work computer, living room computer, had 3 of my friends click it, my Mom and sister as well! I was up until 5am for 3 days straight trying to get those things off the Internet. I have all the print outs of the things on craigslist and the emails and texts from her to my friends cell, also messages from my parents. My Mom found pictures of me when I was younger by most of the items that were up for sale.

He still has none of his things back, I have taken 2 days off work because of this and gave him my truck for 2 weeks now. I'm sick of dealing with this, sick of the police not doing anything, and not being able to do anything, I feel like everything is right there, but my hands are tied. My Dad's lawyer doesn't seem to be doing much either, she asked my dad how to write the letter to her (dad was a legal rep for a local bank for along time and my family is well known in this area my family founded a town near-by that hosts this towns 4Th of July, I feel she messed with the wrong family, but maybe its the town to be a criminal in I guess...My sisters neighbor has reported the house next to her a drug house, they even know the schedule with the cars, if the red car is in the drive its OK to buy, if the Grey one is, don't come near...but the police don't do anything about it)....We told Dad to fire her but he said, "Why!? Let's just wait and see what happens...."

Today we drove by her place and there was a moving truck outside (eek) and a bit later on there were no lights at all (which is odd) but her car was still there. I'm worried about her skipping town before we get our things or she gets charged with anything!!!!

Anyone! Have ANY ideas!? It's a small town (6-7k people), the police don't seem to know the laws, they are notorious for 'picking' on high schoolers younger kids and don't seem to do anything about bigger issues, the station got into some trouble a few years back for discriminating, and now they don't seem to do a thing. The state trooper is the one who told me to deal with a staff sarge or a lieutenant or detective, that seemed to help, I'm just not sure we got the right one. It took them a week to even look into the stolen car!

Could the department be held responsible? A friend from the Madison police department said if he has a key, he has a right to enter the house, to get the landlord (which is also a old friend of the families) the police and my dad to enter the house and get his things...is this true?

Thanks for any advice and for taking the time to read this, I just don't know what will help or not help in the matter....

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

This is regarding my Dad and his ex-girlfriend, so I apologize if I placed this thread in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where it would fit?
I found out she has a 4 pages of court cases against her and now there are a few more. She has had 4 different last names and lied about her age, so we couldn't find anything on her for awhile, but we figured it out.
I'm tempted to ask what led up to investigating her...so, what led up to this?

.The police told my Mom she needs to get my sister (12 years of age) out of there because of the things against this lady.
What kind of things? Are there any convictions? What exactly are the allegations?

Dad spent the night with me (about 30 miles from where he lived with her) the night he got kicked out, she text messaged him saying his stuff was outside. I told him to call the police, sure enough some of his things were outside, his $1200 mattress in a bush torn in two spots, a plant stand from my grandpa that was now broken, my Trek bike in the yard he was using, his lazyboy...etc. The police never showed up, they drove by twice and I tried to wave them down, but they just kept going. I took some pictures, but it was dark and only had my phone camera (there is no way to put a price on these things and no way to prove they are ours (the police say))....
This was not, at that point, a criminal matter.

A few days later my sister called me, told me to check .craigslist.org, I did, and found about 15 of his things on there for sale! We called the police, and explained craigslist...they said there was nothing they could do because its a civil matter. I called the county, they said they had no jurisdiction on the city!? I called my friend in the state patrol, he said, "the city HAS to do something, that's theft and they could be held responsible if they didn't do anything about it...."
Your state patrol friend is leaving something out - Dad has to prove that those things are his before there is any talk of theft.

We didn't contact the ex directly because we didn't want to give her time to think of any more excuses, she has done this before, her last boyfriend, she was supposed to marry, the day of their wedding she broke up with him and kept his stuff, he took her to court to get it back and oddly it was his laptop and camera that she used to post our things on craigslist! So obviously the court thing didn't work so well.
Again what are the convictions and charges?

Dad went to get his things the next day he got kicked out, she wouldn't answer the door (he was there with the police), He went the next day (with the police, she wouldn't answer the door)....Dad called her, she said "why would you even bother me at 7pm about this," he said "how about the morning," she said "well see, I may be gone." The police went with Dad on Wednesday (the last day that he was on the lease), she told him she hurt her foot and couldn't do it that day, she (with the police there and witnessed) said he could come back Saturday. Saturday, with the police, on the front step, she messaged him saying she has the flu and couldn't do it that day.
Ok.

I talked to my friend and had him e-mail her interested in some clocks that were on there (from the 1800's for $300!). It was about 8:30pm, we got a call back at 9, she gave him her name address and phone number, we told her we could meet at 10:00pm at her house. (This was Saturday, the day she was sick with the flu). We went to get his truck, on the way we called the police and asked if they would be interested in meeting to witness a sale of stolen property. The officer called back about 15 minutes before we were supposed to meet and said there's nothing he could do.
Unless these things have been reported as stolen you might have trouble getting anybody to act. Did you prove ownership?

Sunday, the police confronted her and asked what was going on and if she was trying to sell his things, of course she denied it all. My friend got an email from her with pictures of the clocks asking if he was still interested (2 hours after the police talked to her). I called the police back because the officer that dad was dealing with said he could have given her a ticket for the sale of stolen property, so I told him we could get it again, he said he couldn't do anything more than he has.
Except it would appear that there was no record of stolen property.

Meanwhile she has been threatening my dad saying that he raped her daughter and that he owes her money and shes going to call his P.O. (from a past employment issue from 10 years ago)? So, Dad backed off scared, and I was really mad at him at first, but I understand now and feel bad... (He doesn't know that I know about this). State trooper said we could get her with blackmail but how do you prove this? Also, she owes my dad $2000 (I have a feeling it was cash and no proof again) and the landlord $4400 (which has a case pending now I guess).
STOP GETTING LEGAL ADVICE FROM THE POLICE! They aren't lawyers - and a lawyer is what your Dad absolutely DOES need. I'm not saying this to anger you or anything else - but please, don't expect the police to be as familiar with the law as an attorney would be. Police are wonderful enforcers - but they are not attorneys.

We had the landlord call her and ask what was going on with Dads things, she said she has been trying to contact him to come get his things (we have a witness at least).

I have gotten all but one item deleted off craigslist by clicking the 'prohibited' link from this computer, my work computer, living room computer, had 3 of my friends click it, my Mom and sister as well! I was up until 5am for 3 days straight trying to get those things off the Internet. I have all the print outs of the things on craigslist and the emails and texts from her to my friends cell, also messages from my parents. My Mom found pictures of me when I was younger by most of the items that were up for sale.
Why isn't Dad taking care of this?

He still has none of his things back, I have taken 2 days off work because of this and gave him my truck for 2 weeks now. I'm sick of dealing with this, sick of the police not doing anything, and not being able to do anything, I feel like everything is right there, but my hands are tied.
Um...then step back and let Dad take care of things. Stop expecting the police to act in civil matters (and yes, so far it's 99% civil, not criminal).

My Dad's lawyer doesn't seem to be doing much either, she asked my dad how to write the letter to her (dad was a legal rep for a local bank for along time and my family is well known in this area my family founded a town near-by that hosts this towns 4Th of July, I feel she messed with the wrong family, but maybe its the town to be a criminal in I guess...My sisters neighbor has reported the house next to her a drug house, they even know the schedule with the cars, if the red car is in the drive its OK to buy, if the Grey one is, don't come near...but the police don't do anything about it)....We told Dad to fire her but he said, "Why!? Let's just wait and see what happens...."
Dad needs an attorney. Perhaps a new attorney, but he NEEDS an attorney.

Today we drove by her place and there was a moving truck outside (eek) and a bit later on there were no lights at all (which is odd) but her car was still there. I'm worried about her skipping town before we get our things or she gets charged with anything!!!!
C'mon - you can state the facts without the melodrama. It's not going to help you.

Anyone! Have ANY ideas!?
To do what exactly? :confused:

Could the department be held responsible?
For what?

A friend from the Madison police department said if he has a key, he has a right to enter the house, to get the landlord (which is also a old friend of the families) the police and my dad to enter the house and get his things...is this true?
Not exactly, no. I still have a key to my ex's house 3500 odd miles away. I have no more right to enter that abode without permission than you do. Y'know? The landlord can't just drop in unannounced either.

Thanks for any advice and for taking the time to read this, I just don't know what will help or not help in the matter....
Your dad needs to take care of this - honestly, I know you want to help but you are heading down a path where you risk becoming too involved. If you want to help Dad, help him hire an attorney - even if you have to go out of town.

And while I know it's frustrating, you've really got to stop getting the police involved every time you think something is up - it won't help you.

(It might eventually hurt your Dad's case actually)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">