• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

benefit fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NY

I have been in litigation for 2 1/2 years, the whole time i have been paying for the mortgage on the house, the car payment, the car insurance, all the insurance and taxes related to the above and was ordered to pay $220/week to boot.

Today i get a call from the STBX that she is at medicaid and they need to know some information about our health benefits, ie group numbers, weekly payment, etc, etc.

the STBX has already told food stamps that the only money she gets is $500/month as a gift from her father, there is no mention of any of the monies that i give her. thusly prompting them to give her around $600/month in food stamps, now she is trying to get medicaid on top of it?

Is it considered to be fraud for her to even apply for medicaid because we are still married and she has health insurance? is it fraud that she is getting Food stamps?

Am i going to get into trouble because she is lying to them and we are still married?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? NY

I have been in litigation for 2 1/2 years, the whole time i have been paying for the mortgage on the house, the car payment, the car insurance, all the insurance and taxes related to the above and was ordered to pay $220/week to boot.

Today i get a call from the STBX that she is at medicaid and they need to know some information about our health benefits, ie group numbers, weekly payment, etc, etc.

the STBX has already told food stamps that the only money she gets is $500/month as a gift from her father, there is no mention of any of the monies that i give her. thusly prompting them to give her around $600/month in food stamps, now she is trying to get medicaid on top of it?

Is it considered to be fraud for her to even apply for medicaid because we are still married and she has health insurance? is it fraud that she is getting Food stamps?

Am i going to get into trouble because she is lying to them and we are still married?
Applying for benefits isn't fraud. However, not reporting ALL sources of income is fraud.

Take your court order, proof of all payments made, and proof of insurance down to the medicaid/foodstamp office. They will be very cooperative in taking the information from you. Once they have all of the info, they will adjust her benefits accordingly.

LdiJ

600.00 in food stamps equals approximately four people.

If she reported his 220 a week AND the 500 she receives from her father she still qualifies for food stamps easily, unless she has other income.

She would also qualify for medicaid I do believe.

So...it would be a bit tacky for him to go down to the welfare office to try to blow the whistle on her, when it appears she qualifies in any case. The medicaid would be secondary insurance as long as the current policies remain in effect.

600.00 in food stamps equals approximately four people.

If she reported his 220 a week AND the 500 she receives from her father she still qualifies for food stamps easily, unless she has other income.

She would also qualify for medicaid I do believe.

So...it would be a bit tacky for him to go down to the welfare office to try to blow the whistle on her, when it appears she qualifies in any case. The medicaid would be secondary insurance as long as the current policies remain in effect.
But aside from the 220/week =946/month there is also the mortgage (1300/month) the car (250/month) the car insurance (125/month). plus the 500/month

this equates to 3121/month or 37452/year that is more than i end up with after its all said and done, can i go down and qualify for medicaid and food stamps too?

Last edited:
i pulled this off of the website for the NYS medicaid

2007 Income & Resource Levels*
Number in Family Monthly Net Income Resources
1 $700 $4200
2 $900 $5400
3 $1100 $6600
4 $1109 $6650
5 $1117 $6700
6 $1134 $6800
7 $1275 $7650
8 $1417 $8500
For each additional person, add: $142 $850

Income and Resource Levels are subject to yearly adjustments.

LdiJ

i pulled this off of the website for the NYS medicaid

2007 Income & Resource Levels*
Number in Family Monthly Net Income Resources
1 $700 $4200
2 $900 $5400
3 $1100 $6600
4 $1109 $6650
5 $1117 $6700
6 $1134 $6800
7 $1275 $7650
8 $1417 $8500
For each additional person, add: $142 $850

Income and Resource Levels are subject to yearly adjustments.
I would be suspicious of those figures...there is only a 34 dollar differential between 3 and six people, and that CANNOT be accurate.

I checked the numbers for several other states, including mine, and the numbers are MUCH higher.

i understand what you mean and i am in no way trying to argue that fact, i was only going off of what i read from the state

with all that aside, seeing that the stbx is getting $37k would they still be entitled to the benefit? and as i asked earlier if they are than why wouldnt i be concidering that they would end up having more $ than me? i could use the assistance as well....

also is there any way for me to find out what she is telling them as far as an application or whatever so that i could disprove the figures if i had to/?

LdiJ

i understand what you mean and i am in no way trying to argue that fact, i was only going off of what i read from the state

with all that aside, seeing that the stbx is getting $37k would they still be entitled to the benefit? and as i asked earlier if they are than why wouldnt i be concidering that they would end up having more $ than me? i could use the assistance as well....

also is there any way for me to find out what she is telling them as far as an application or whatever so that i could disprove the figures if i had to/?
I am not sure that you can lay the mortgage payments on her end. Yes, she is living there but the payments protect your ownership interest in the home as well.

The only thing that you would ever have to do to protect yourself is prove that you are ordered to pay support and that you are paying it.

I am not sure that you can lay the mortgage payments on her end. Yes, she is living there but the payments protect your ownership interest in the home as well..

But in the same token, if she wasnt living there , ie post divorce, then i will still have to give her that money, and the fact that we are still married makes me think that she is not entitled to any claim. we werent entitled to it when we lived together, why would things be different now?

The only thing that you would ever have to do to protect yourself is prove that you are ordered to pay support and that you are paying it.
Protect myself from? her potential fraud? is that what you mean?

LdiJ

But in the same token, if she wasnt living there , ie post divorce, then i will still have to give her that money, and the fact that we are still married makes me think that she is not entitled to any claim. we werent entitled to it when we lived together, why would things be different now?
Its not guaranteed that you would have to give her that money, post divorce. That hasn't been decided yet....nor have amounts. The fact that you are still married isn't relevant. You are not sharing a household...you are separated.

Protect myself from? her potential fraud? is that what you mean?
No, I mean protect yourself from them coming back on you for reimbursement of the benefits she is receiving. If there is any fraud (and that isn't certain at this point) you are not involved in the fraud. I honestly think that its unlikely that there is any fraud going on, because she disclosed to them that there was health insurance (she called you from their office.)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">