• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

to bifurcate or not to bifurcate....?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Annaperenna

What is the name of your state? California

To Bifurcate or not to bifurcate ..that is the question.

My husband got a 50 yr. old woman whom he just met through an Adult website
last October -- PREGNANT. She is due this July.

Bottom line is ...he went off the deep end. He got fired from his job (although recently obtained another) and decided to quit making our mortgage payments, etc.

Now he wants me to grant him a bifurcation, because the baby is due.

Do I have to do this? Why would he want to do this?

I don't think my lawyer really has a strong opinion on this.

His lawyer said that if I don't agree, that he will file a motion. HELP!

wileybunch

If you bifurcate, there's no more leverage to get financial items settled so if DH's primary goal is to remarry and he's got no inclination to get the financial issues settled, he can just drag his feet there. If he wants out so badly, nail down an uncontested agreement and get the full divorce done.

What is the name of your state? California

To Bifurcate or not to bifurcate ..that is the question.

My husband got a 50 yr. old woman whom he just met through an Adult website
last October -- PREGNANT. She is due this July.

Bottom line is ...he went off the deep end. He got fired from his job (although recently obtained another) and decided to quit making our mortgage payments, etc.

Now he wants me to grant him a bifurcation, because the baby is due.

Do I have to do this? Why would he want to do this?

I don't think my lawyer really has a strong opinion on this.

His lawyer said that if I don't agree, that he will file a motion. HELP!
I understand bifurcations are becoming more common in CA to speed up the process of moving on...and that seems the case here, but you don't have to "grant' him a bifurcation if you are concerned about the finances until complete disclosure (assets, liabilities, expenses, income etc.) is provided and you are indemnified against any back taxes or other financial hardships resulting from a bifurcation. Even if he does file a motion for a hearing...the judge will demand financial disclosure before any ruling. This issue makes temporary support orders that much more important as well. If you are not completely satisfied with the process and refuse, I believe in CA it will be up to you to prove that a bifurcation will put you at financial risk. Either way...get your finances looked into ASAP so you will be prepared for any hearings on support or bifurcation, and as was mentioned...don't give up any leverage voluntarily without doing your homework first. Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">