• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bifurcation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

barbtn

What is the name of your state?
TENNESSEE
I heard of something called "bifurcation" where you can get divorced and then finish working out details, signing agreements, etc. at a later date Is this an option in Tennessee, and if so, how does it work?

B

brake pedal

looking over your posts...

Have you tried a legal aid society? They like to help out, in situations like this. I am sure they could answer your questions, and help you with the paperwork. It might speed things along for you.

I don’t know what area of TN you are in, but these people are very good. If you are not from that area, these people will be able to direct you to someone in your area.

Rural Legal Services of Tennessee Inc
Arcade Bldg
Cookeville, TN 38501
map | driving directions

931-528-7436

vrzirn

In a bifurcated divorce you may receive your divorce but the court retains control over certain "reserved issues", which are not yet resolved. Usually, that means the assets and assorted community property. You still get to fight over those.
However, you are now legally free to remarry and are not responsible for any new debts acquired by the ex-spouse.

T

tamiluwho

THANK YOU

Thank you very much for that information. It was very helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">