• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bifurcation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My ex filed for divorce in May of 2007. We were married 9 years. She never worked and I have much property from before our marriage which was never co-mingled.

My attorney filed for a bifurcation and the judge denied it. I want to marry my current girlfriend. How can I get the judge to bifurcate this marriage? Is wanting to remarry, a reason?

Also, her attorney is saying she will do anything in her power to stop the bifurcation. A divorce in California should take 6 months and I do not understand how my hands are being tied from moving on with my life. What reason would the judge have for not bifurcating this marriage?
Thank you.
Frustrated

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My ex filed for divorce in May of 2007. We were married 9 years. She never worked and I have much property from before our marriage which was never co-mingled.

My attorney filed for a bifurcation and the judge denied it. I want to marry my current girlfriend. How can I get the judge to bifurcate this marriage? Is wanting to remarry, a reason?

Also, her attorney is saying she will do anything in her power to stop the bifurcation. A divorce in California should take 6 months and I do not understand how my hands are being tied from moving on with my life. What reason would the judge have for not bifurcating this marriage?
Thank you.
Frustrated
The judge may feel that the property settlement is not going the way that it should, and bifurcating the marriage can remove the incentive to get the property settlement done.

I suggest that you discuss with your attorney what needs to happen to get everything settled so that you can move on with your life.

Obviously you know what the "sticking points" are. Push your attorney to get a hearing so that the judge can decide those issues, if you and your stbx cannot agree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">