• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bigamy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

finderk63

California.

We got married almost seven years ago and I want to get a divorce from her. She is determined to protest the divorce, because she does want it. She wants to get half of everything, but none of the bills. I found out awhile back that her divorce his wasn't final when we got married, would that make a difference on the right I have for this divorce, or does it make no difference? While I brought this up to her, she said it makes no difference sense we have been married as long as we have been and she has the right everything she is asking for and that I will not get this divorce. Is she right on this, or does it really matter anymore?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

finderk63 said:
California.

We got married almost seven years ago and I want to get a divorce from her. She is determined to protest the divorce, because she does want it. She wants to get half of everything, but none of the bills. I found out awhile back that her divorce his wasn't final when we got married, would that make a difference on the right I have for this divorce, or does it make no difference? While I brought this up to her, she said it makes no difference sense we have been married as long as we have been and she has the right everything she is asking for and that I will not get this divorce. Is she right on this, or does it really matter anymore?

My response:

When you call a local Family Law attorney for a free initial consultation, discuss the issues of community property and "putative spouse" status in relation to her bigamy. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that she'll walk away with little to nothing.

She can "contest" the dissolution of your "relationship" all she wants. In California, it will get her nowhere, fast.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">