• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bigamy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GregW

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I went to court yesterday, and my marriage was annulled due to my wife being a bigamist. We had been "married" for 13 years, and i found out a few months ago that she was still married to her first husband, and also married me under a fake name.

The problem I have now: In NC, Bigamy is a Class I felony. But Robeson county refuses to prosecute her or even arrest her.

anyone know how I can charge her with this felony and get the local sheriff/police/magistrate to actually uphold ALL laws?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I went to court yesterday, and my marriage was annulled due to my wife being a bigamist. We had been "married" for 13 years, and i found out a few months ago that she was still married to her first husband, and also married me under a fake name.

The problem I have now: In NC, Bigamy is a Class I felony. But Robeson county refuses to prosecute her or even arrest her.

anyone know how I can charge her with this felony and get the local sheriff/police/magistrate to actually uphold ALL laws?
Its up to the DA/prosecutor to decide whether or not to file charges against someone. Clearly they have declined to file charges. You can try to push the DA, but there are some cases that they simply don't want to waste their resources pursuing.

Medusee

I hope you don't have any kids together. I know you are angry but one day long ago you loved that person why do you want to put her in jail?

I think being humiliated and breaking up with you should be enough!

If you don't have kids don't consume yourself with anger, you will only destroy yourself. Move on.

My two cents from someone who has suffered very much from a totally insane and destructive divorce!

Last edited:

GregW

There are 2 kids.

and numerous lies, including her taking all assets and hiding them, all money, filing false charges against me... the list is long.

I just don't understand why a woman is allowed to commit felonies, and the people that are supposed to uphold the laws refuse to do their jobs.

What other felonies will she be able to commit against me and get away with only because the DA doesn't think this is a high enough profile crime for him to pursue?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
There are 2 kids.

and numerous lies, including her taking all assets and hiding them, all money, filing false charges against me... the list is long.

I just don't understand why a woman is allowed to commit felonies, and the people that are supposed to uphold the laws refuse to do their jobs.

What other felonies will she be able to commit against me and get away with only because the DA doesn't think this is a high enough profile crime for him to pursue?
Prosecutors are allowed to determine what cases they pursue and which ones they don't. And a bigamist (female by the way) was just arrested and charged with Bigamy in Miami. Did you prove your claims during the annulment?

GregW

Yes. My claim (both Bigamy and marrying me under a false name)was proved, and that is why the annulment was granted.

LdiJ

There are 2 kids.

So, you want to send your children's mother to jail? How would they feel about that? No matter what happens she is the mother of your children, and you are going to have to get over the bitterness for the kids sake.

Bali Hai

There are 2 kids.

Because the people who are supposed to uphold the laws are VOTED into office and the women's vote is very powerful and important to them.

She can do just about anything she wants. She would have to do something that would shock the community, especially in the state you live.

In case you haven't noticed, there is a double standard in matrimonial law.

These women who have answered your thread would see you castrated and hung if you had done such a thing.

TinkerBelleLuvr

These women who have answered your thread would see you castrated and hung if you had done such a thing.
Bali, don't put all women under the same blanket.

It should NOT matter if it is a woman or a man - it's illegal and the parties should be punished.

Bali Hai

Bali, don't put all women under the same blanket.

It should NOT matter if it is a woman or a man - it's illegal and the parties should be punished.
How it SHOULD matter and what it IS, is subjective my dear.

We don't punish women at all cost, unless they have been very, very bad.

Dumbhubby

So, you want to send your children's mother to jail? How would they feel about that? No matter what happens she is the mother of your children, and you are going to have to get over the bitterness for the kids sake.
Huh? What difference does being the mother of children have to do with committing a felony?
This woman stole years from this guy, and all is well because she is a mother?
What am I missing here?
I can relate to this guy. My wife deserted my marriage last month( i got PM of son), but not before she stole my identity for a student loan. I am currently in the process of completing the fraud packet for the loan company(signatures are clearly not mine) which is a felony.
So I should not pursue this just because she is a mother? Besides I seriously doubt she will be prosecuted anyway.
Oh and by the way she didnt take advantage of this past weekend custody...not even a phone call.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Huh? What difference does being the mother of children have to do with committing a felony?
This woman stole years from this guy, and all is well because she is a mother?
What am I missing here?
I can relate to this guy. My wife deserted my marriage last month( i got PM of son), but not before she stole my identity for a student loan. I am currently in the process of completing the fraud packet for the loan company(signatures are clearly not mine) which is a felony.
So I should not pursue this just because she is a mother? Besides I seriously doubt she will be prosecuted anyway.
Oh and by the way she didnt take advantage of this past weekend custody...not even a phone call.
YOU ARE HIJACKING> Don't do it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are turning this thread into your problems whic it is not. If you want to post that much about your situation you go to your thread and do so. Your wife was NOT a bigamist. Hence your situation has nothing to do with OPs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">