• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bigamy and the laws of bigamy in nc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jeannine fonte

i am a 23 yr old female going through a divorce in wisconsin,and it will be final on april 9.i am currently living in north carolina and my guestion is that what r the laws of getting remarried after my divorce is final?i know in wisconsin it says to wait 6 months before getting remarried but what is it in nc.also if i was to get married right now would that fall under bigamy?what r the penalites of getting married when u r going through a divorce?also if i was to go and get a marriage certicate to get married right now in nc would they be able to tell that i am going through a divorce?well i am just wondering the laws and penalites. thank you

Madcatsmeow

Jeannine,

Im no attorney, but here is my thought on this. If you have legal binding divorce papers in hand, you can get re-married. If you are married, in another state, or in the state you are in; you cannot get married again until that marriage is dissolved through divorce or annulment. To do so is not only illegal, but unmoral!!

If you want to remarry, that is wonderful. But assure you are divorced from the previous marriage before proceeding!! That I am aware of there are no laws indicating a waiting period between final divorce and getting married again, but there are laws in place regarding being married to more than one person at a time.

April is not that far away!!

Some Random Guy

Im no attorney, but here is my thought on this. If you have legal binding divorce papers in hand, you can get re-married.
And you would be wrong in 6 states.

Luckily for the poster, NC has no waiting period. For a full list see:

Remarriage Waiting Period

Of course, getting married before the first divirce is final is a boneheadedly stupid thing to do. Nothing quite as easy to prosecute as bigamy - all the prosecutor needs is a calendar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">