• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bigamy or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skip2malu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
In 1976, a woman that I had married in Las Vegas, and had 1 child with, took off with another man and my child. No divorce, no forwarding address, no nothing. 2 1/2 yrs. later I got a call from my ex who said she never got a divorce, but that she would get it and send me a copy. But she never did. In 1979 I married another woman who knew I was previously married, and new that I was still waiting to get the divorce from my ex. About a year after I was remarried, I got the divorce from my ex myself. Now, my present wife and I want to divorce and she says we don't have to because we were never legally married in the first place. Is this true and what are my rights and responsibilities as to spousal support, insurance benifits, retirement benefits, property division, etc...?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

She could probably have made that case shortly after you were married. If she claimed that she didn't know you were still married and you tricked her into getting married and now that she knows you were married when you married her she wants out, it might have carried some weight in 1979. It's certainly not going to carry any weight after she stayed married to you for nearly 30 years.

You're going to have to deal with all the stuff that any other couple does when divorcing after a 30 year marriage. No one can tell you about spousal support without more details, but it is certainly a possibility if the other requirements are met.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">