• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bills, bills, bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MsAsia504

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I was separated for two years, finally getting a divorce in February of this year. In the two years, a restraining order was attempted for a long time, but he avoided being served for almost a year. Then, the court attempted to serve him for the divorce itself. I found a way to serve those papers, and he didn't show up for court, so the divorce was eventually granted.

Now, I have bills that were accumulated through the marriage...unfortunately, his credit was already bad before we were married, so many of these bills were made in my name, such as a car that was reposessed, a credit union loan that was unpaid, etc. I want to know is it possible to have him be made responsible for part of these bills? If so, how do I go about it? Is is a particular law I can reference?

MsAsia504

...and to add to that question, if it is possible to pursue him for payment of what he may be ordered to pay, I have another concern. He is famous for avoiding summons from courts, etc. He hasn't even filed taxes since we were separated - and consequently, this year, I had to pay what he owed in back taxes. If it is possible to pursue, what ways can he be made to pay outside of waiting for him to show up in a courtroom?

Gadfly

Sure, you can go after him. You may even win. HOWEVER from what you have said so far, just HOW do you expect to collect?

MsAsia504

I believe that was part of my second question: if he has avoided appearing in court and runs from the IRS and the law...
He DOES work, though. Would a judge rule in this kind of case without him being there? Could they just garnish his wages somehow if he did not appear? Note: It is difficult to serve him at home because now he lives with his mother (at 32, go figure), who will cover for him. He works (or worked, before Hurricane Katrina) for a Union, and he is never in the same job for long because they assign him to other places. So it is difficult to even send someone to a place that I can't name or get into. BUT, social security numbers follow you...I figure a court and the government can track him down.

MsAsia504 said:
I figure a court and the government can track him down.
No, that's not the way it works. First, you must win your case that he owes you the money, whether by default (he doesn't show up) or the judge feels the evidence shows he does owe you and enters a judgment against him. This is civil law, not criminal--neither the court nor the government will try to track him down to pay the judgment. That's your job. If he fails to pay the judgment in the prescribed time period, you can request an order of garnishment from the court. But, you have to provide his employer's information, that is not the responsibility of the court.

I don't know how much he owes you, but unless you do most of the work yourself, an attorney's fees will quickly eat up YOUR money. Google about winning a money judgment & collection law. You'll understand the work you'll be undertaking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">