• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bills not being paid per divorce decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hadamson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
Per my divorce decree signed by the judge 6/3/09 my ex husband has retained the Sleep number bed that is in my name and he is supposed to be making the payments. He has not made a payment since April, I've been making the payments and he is still retaining the bed. He is volatile, so I can not go and get the bed and am just wondering what I can do legally to retrieve the bed or have him pay for the bed. I don't really have money to pay a lawyer and making this payment is a financial burden on me...if someone could please advise me on what I need to do next, I would greatly appreciate it.

dad43

file for contempt...if he has already been ordered to keep making payments, and you've been making them for 4 months now, take him back to court for the missed payments...can you see about switching the loan to him?

LdiJ

file for contempt...if he has already been ordered to keep making payments, and you've been making them for 4 months now, take him back to court for the missed payments...can you see about switching the loan to him?
I agree, file for contempt. You do not have to hire an attorney to do so, you can do it yourself.

Check at the courthouse that has jurisdiction for forms to file a "show cause for contempt". Your state government website might have them available online.

Hadamson

bills not being paid per divorce decree

Thank you, I will look into the paperwork for filing for contempt...I'm just so tired of fighting with him.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why didn't you bring up the April and May payments at the final hearing if the divorce was finalized on June 3?

Hadamson

he kept promising he was going to make the payments, that he was just a little behind cause he just moved. I believed him, so I didn't say anything. I was giving him the benefit of doubt, but I realize that was a mistake.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">