• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Birthmother pregnant-married five months and got an annulment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CarolynPPK

What is the name of your state?Indiana

I am an adult adpotee. My birthparents were age 16 (bmom) and 20 (bdad) at the time of my birth. They were married in Jan and the marriage was annulled in May. I was born in September. They were from Montana, I believe. This was in 1965. I was confused as to how a annulment would be issed when the mother was pregnant. They said she filed for an annulment becuase my bfather was writing bad checks. Would love any insight about annulments. Thank you.
-Carolyn

rmet4nzkx

CarolynPPK said:
What is the name of your state?Indiana

I am an adult adpotee. My birthparents were age 16 (bmom) and 20 (bdad) at the time of my birth. They were married in Jan and the marriage was annulled in May. I was born in September. They were from Montana, I believe. This was in 1965. I was confused as to how a annulment would be issed when the mother was pregnant. They said she filed for an annulment becuase my bfather was writing bad checks. Would love any insight about annulments. Thank you.
-Carolyn
Grounds for Absolute Divorce:

Alcoholism ( grounds for annulment )
Bigamy ( grounds for annulment )
Drug Addictions ( grounds for annulment )
Fraud, Force or Duress ( grounds for annulment )
Impotence

Writing bad checks would be FRAUD.
Were you able to locate your birth parents?

CarolynPPK

yes and no

rmet4nzkx said:
Grounds for Absolute Divorce:

Alcoholism ( grounds for annulment )
Bigamy ( grounds for annulment )
Drug Addictions ( grounds for annulment )
Fraud, Force or Duress ( grounds for annulment )
Impotence

Writing bad checks would be FRAUD.
Were you able to locate your birth parents?

The adoption agency has contacted my bmom, she wants no contact. Since the marriage was annulled she didn't put my bdad on anything so I have no idea who he is, how to find him and the adoption agency has no info on him since the marriage was annulled at the time of my birth. They were suprised that a judge would annull a marriage with the bmom being 5-6 month pregnant. The bad checks were written after they were married is my understanding.

rmet4nzkx

With the differences in their ages, that likely played some part, remember your mother was only 16. If it was a small town you may be able to get some information, it is just a matter of calling the right people.

CarolynPPK

Thank you

rmet4nzkx said:
With the differences in their ages, that likely played some part, remember your mother was only 16. If it was a small town you may be able to get some information, it is just a matter of calling the right people.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your insight in this matter. I am not sure where in Montana they were from, I just know on my non-identifying info her place of birth is Montana and the adoption agency did confirm that she was from the west. Thank you for helping me put this in perspective.
Sincerely,
Carolyn

rmet4nzkx

CarolynPPK said:
Thank you very much. I appreciate your insight in this matter. I am not sure where in Montana they were from, I just know on my non-identifying info her place of birth is Montana and the adoption agency did confirm that she was from the west. Thank you for helping me put this in perspective.
Sincerely,
Carolyn
Do you know what city or hospital you were born in? You might contact TV station or one of these Shows that reuinte children with their parents, you might find your biodad that way. Are you registered in case he is looking for you and someday your biomom may change her mind.

CarolynPPK

Still Trying

rmet4nzkx said:
Do you know what city or hospital you were born in? You might contact TV station or one of these Shows that reuinte children with their parents, you might find your biodad that way. Are you registered in case he is looking for you and someday your biomom may change her mind.
My birthmother was contacted just a week ago. The adoption agency will talk with her again. She can always get my info. I realize that this is all a shook to her right now. I want her to know I am not looking for a parent. My health info is the most important thing. I am registered in the state that I was born and adopted in (It wasn't Montana) and she is going to give the agency all of her side of the family's health info. Regretfully, with the annulment, my father is not listed on my birth certificate-I can't even get non-identifying info-and the adoption agency has no info because, again, since the marriage was annulled, rather than a divorce, she did not have to have him sign off on the adoption. At this point, she is the only person who knows who my biological father is and they have had no contact since their annulment. I don't want to go public, so to speak, my intent is not to cause further pain to something that was very difficult for so many people. I have had a wonderful life, I just started to search so I could get health history for myself and my six children. If he was listed, he could have given me this info and stayed unidentified. I am sure she won't tell the agency now, because if she gave them his name and they contacted him, he may want contact and then he would give away her identity. It's all okay. I was just really curious about how annulments worked and if this sounded strange to anyone about the situation. The adoption agency thought it was strange for a judge to annull a marraige when there was a pregnancy involved.

nextwife

Do realize that even NON-adoptees may NOT have bioparent family histories. Both my daughter (we have no biodad identified on her BC, and biomom left her at an orphanage at birth, so it is unlikely we will ever have any family info on either bioparent)) and my husband have no medical family backgrounds. Hubby was a child in Europe under Communism, and his dad died just two months before he was born. And, as Dad's family was in another part of Europe, they were unable to be contacted or tracked down. So, even as a biochild raised by his mom, he has NO family medical history from Dad. I only mention this so you do realize that this problem is not unique to adoptees.

My SILs family was mostly lost in the Holocaust, and her family med history only goes to her parents, not any further.

CarolynPPK

yes, I do realize this!

nextwife said:
Do realize that even NON-adoptees may NOT have bioparent family histories. Both my daughter (we have no biodad identified on her BC, and biomom left her at an orphanage at birth, so it is unlikely we will ever have any family info on either bioparent)) and my husband have no medical family backgrounds. Hubby was a child in Europe under Communism, and his dad died just two months before he was born. And, as Dad's family was in another part of Europe, they were unable to be contacted or tracked down. So, even as a biochild raised by his mom, he has NO family medical history from Dad. I only mention this so you do realize that this problem is not unique to adoptees.

My SILs family was mostly lost in the Holocaust, and her family med history only goes to her parents, not any further.

Yes, I DO reralize that this is NOT a problem unique to adoptees. I DO feel however, as does every doctor I have ever worked with, that if this information is able to be retrieved, it should. I think most states do, too. That is why they have formed non-identifying health registries. My question had to do with a curiosity I had about my bparents annulment. It seems that I have upset or offended you in some way by the conversation I was having with rmet4nzkx. Believe me, I understand the info may not be available, as I have been without it for 40 years already. I do have six children at this time, three with one father, three with another. The oldest three lost their father, my 1st husband, at a very young age (35) to diabetes. There are health issues on both of my children's father's sides of the family. Again though, my original question had nothing to do with retreiving my health history. I was looking fo info on annulments because I knew nothing about them. I fully realize the horrors from WWII, as my father was D-Day +5 on Omaha Beach and was one of the first group of soldiers in the concentration camps. I also understand the orphange situation, as my sister-in-law was adopted from an HIV orphange in Romania. I know that I may never get my health info., but if it is out there, it is something I should have for myself and my children. Everyone should have that right. Yes, it may not always be possible, but in order to be the best possible advocate for your health, you should try to get all the info you can. Believe me, after having a very ill husband and father and working with doctors and hospitals the way I have, any knowledge you can have about your health history is helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">