• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bordering Domestic Violence??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tucsonwoman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona.

I have been married for 5 years. Together we own a house that we have living in for the last 19 months. Now we are splitting up. We agreed that since we can't sell the house for at least what we bought it for, and we are severely upside down that we will live together until we can get out from under it. We still have our money together since neither of us can afford the mortgage on our own. He has anger issues, and has threatened to hurt my dog, has already asked me to keep her out of his way, and has admitted to me that he would hurt me but doesn't because "Its not worth it to lose so much, for so little". I am now afraid, not for myself but for my pets. He controls all the finances, and has told me that if he wanted to he could "Screw me" as he puts it.

I have no family in this city, I have 2 co-workers that know what Is going through. I have no place to go here, but now he's asking me to leave. He wants me to be the one to leave. I don't know what my options are in terms of the house. What I can do to walk out of this with my finances almost intact. I know that I have to act on this quickly, but I feel stuck. What is the first step to take to protect myself?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona.

I have been married for 5 years. Together we own a house that we have living in for the last 19 months. Now we are splitting up. We agreed that since we can't sell the house for at least what we bought it for, and we are severely upside down that we will live together until we can get out from under it. We still have our money together since neither of us can afford the mortgage on our own. He has anger issues, and has threatened to hurt my dog, has already asked me to keep her out of his way, and has admitted to me that he would hurt me but doesn't because "Its not worth it to lose so much, for so little". I am now afraid, not for myself but for my pets. He controls all the finances, and has told me that if he wanted to he could "Screw me" as he puts it.

I have no family in this city, I have 2 co-workers that know what Is going through. I have no place to go here, but now he's asking me to leave. He wants me to be the one to leave. I don't know what my options are in terms of the house. What I can do to walk out of this with my finances almost intact. I know that I have to act on this quickly, but I feel stuck. What is the first step to take to protect myself?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Immediately open your own bank account, for your own paycheck, and only give him your fair share of the mortgage and utilities.

Get a crate for your dog, and keep the dog in the crate for the dog's own safety.

If you can't sell the house for at least what you owe on it, then you are probably going to have to bite the bullet and take the credit hit of a short sale.

If either of you leaves, the other cannot afford the house payment, so you will end up in foreclosure. A short sale is better than a foreclosure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">