• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend / Girlfriend Seperation Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bobby.Wayne

Sorry last Thread I closed...
I had a girlfriend move in about a year ago in my home. We agreeed at the time she would pay for some funiture and misc things items for the house instead of paying me money for rent. She has now moved out and I need to know what rights does she have to come back and get some of the major things she purchased for the home.
She has all her personal things and everything that she had brought into the household before we got together.
What can happen, or what can she do to me?

She lived with me for aprox 14 moonths.

1650.00 is the monthy bill
550.00 (1/3 her rent share) x 14 months = 7,700.00
She has invested about 6,000.00 in the home and has another 4000.00 on a zero percent interest till 2010 on the carpet in her name.
So...

$10,000.00 - $7,700.00 = $2,300.00 I really should pay to really be even I guess, from MY point of view, however if she doesn't see it that way what can she do? What can I do to protect my son and my home? ? ? ? ? ?

I'm a single dad and a raised my 11 year old son for the past 10 years on my own so I'm doing this with the least amount of pain and problems for my son, I understand the pain I have already caused by allowing her to move in. I made a mistake.

THANKS FOR ANY HELPYOU CAN OFFER!!!!!!!

Last edited:

las365

How many months did she live there? What was the reasonable value of a month's rent if she had been required to pay rent? How much did she spend on the items that are currently in your possession?
I just want to note that after I asked these questions, OP edited his original post to answer them! Bobby Wayne, it works better if you add posts as the thread goes along instead of changing the original one.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Sorry last Thread I closed...
I had a girlfriend move in about a year ago in my home. We agreeed at the time she would pay for some funiture and misc things items for the house instead of paying me money for rent. She has now moved out and I need to know what rights does she have to come back and get some of the major things she purchased for the home.
She has all her personal things and everything that she had brought into the household before we got together.
What can happen, or what can she do to me?

She lived with me for aprox 14 moonths.

1650.00 is the monthy bill
550.00 (1/3 her rent share) x 14 months = 7,700.00
She has invested about 6,000.00 in the home and has another 4000.00 on a zero percent interest till 2010 on the carpet in her name.
So...

$10,000.00 - $7,700.00 = $2,300.00 I really should pay to really be even I guess, from MY point of view, however if she doesn't see it that way what can she do? What can I do to protect my son and my home? ? ? ? ? ?

There is alot of other items that I never even said anythiing about and really never even took into consideration. We traveled to her family a few times in ND, went to Vegas, Arizona and many mountain trips. Entertainment I always supplied a lot of, Boating, Movies, Massages, Facials, Manicure, Dinners and food we did split maybe 70% me and 30% her. I dont really loook at that stuff.

I'm a single dad and a raised my 11 year old son for the past 10 years on my own so I'm doing this with the least amount of pain and problems for my son.

THANKS FOR ANY HELPYOU CAN OFFER!!!!!!!
You weren't married, so it becomes simply contract law. You invited her to live with you. She doesn't owe you rent unless you have a valid contract saying that she does.

She doesn't owe you anything for the trips (My girlfriends never paid any of our vacations, so you should be thankful you got 30%). It's just not relevant to the discussion - and it's silly to even bring it up.

Any loans are owed by the person whose name is on the loan unless there is a contract stating otherwise. HOWEVER, if she purchased carpeting for your house, she just might be able to get a judge to order you to reimburse you for at least part of it. That's really a gray area.

If she purchased movable property, then it's hers. You have no right to keep anything that she bought and paid for. Whether you think it was in lieu of rent isn't relevant - again, unless you have a contract stating that it was in lieu of rent.

The least amount of pain for an 11 year old son would involve you not having a girlfriend move in. You already blew that one, so don't try to act like you're doing everything with your son's interests at heart.

LdiJ

You weren't married, so it becomes simply contract law. You invited her to live with you. She doesn't owe you rent unless you have a valid contract saying that she does.

She doesn't owe you anything for the trips (My girlfriends never paid any of our vacations, so you should be thankful you got 30%). It's just not relevant to the discussion - and it's silly to even bring it up.

Any loans are owed by the person whose name is on the loan unless there is a contract stating otherwise. HOWEVER, if she purchased carpeting for your house, she just might be able to get a judge to order you to reimburse you for at least part of it. That's really a gray area.

If she purchased movable property, then it's hers. You have no right to keep anything that she bought and paid for. Whether you think it was in lieu of rent isn't relevant - again, unless you have a contract stating that it was in lieu of rent.

The least amount of pain for an 11 year old son would involve you not having a girlfriend move in. You already blew that one, so don't try to act like you're doing everything with your son's interests at heart.
I agree, the moveable things are hers unless you have a written contract.

Why in the world would you allow someone else to take on a long term debt for something for your home (ie the carpeting)? You just set yourself up for problems there. I can just about guess that the carpeting company put a lien on your home when they installed the carpeting (assuming they were the ones who financed it, rather than it being put on a credit card). Therefore if she does not pay it, odds are that you are eventually going to end up paying it anyway.

For the sake of anyone else reading this thread...either charge rent, and finance your own home improvements or don't do them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">